Second Skin Audio

Bracing

How does everyone brace their boxes?

ive got some stuff im gonna post up soon of what i found out about bracing, but im wondering what everyone says first.

I use 1.25" dowel rod and fiberglass. You've got me curious.

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

How does everyone brace their boxes?

ive got some stuff im gonna post up soon of what i found out about bracing, but im wondering what everyone says first.

I like dowels between all sides and then bond them together in the center somewhere.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

lol get your eat on

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

Only reason I don't use 2x4's is because of the airspace they take up

For some background on this. Im a mechanical engineering student at college. and year i had a statics and dynamics class followed by a mechanics of materials class. It basically taught be about how things are stress by forces and what works to stop stresses. One thing that was focus on are like and I beam the long skinny part of the I add a rigidness and also spaces the two top and bottom parts to a distance. that also add strength. The there are T beams which is just an I beam without a bottom. So i built a box a few months ago and used the t beam concept to brace my box.

pic of the box

P9050233.jpg

i also added some dowel rods because the T beam concept would of had a disturbance on the air flow

P9060237.jpg

So this semester in class we have a program called Solidworks that we can build 3D models in and now we are learning how to make the program do stress analysis. So i decided to see how good the Tbeam concept worked. How i did it was a flat peice 30 by 17 inches, with all edged fixes in space like it would be attached to a box, Then put a force on the entire piece. I did 4 separate test each with the same force.

the pics are just screenshots put in paint and saved.

first i did just a .75" thickness to base things off of

singlethick.jpg

Then one of just doubling the thickness how some ppl do

doublethick.jpg

The pictures look the same, but the max stress on the double thickness is 1/4 that of the single thickness.

Then i did a single 1 " dowel rod

rod.jpg

The max in this was actually double that of doubling the thinkness

Then i did the Tbeam way.

tbeam.jpg

This way looks to be alot better, but the numbers actually show that around the edges (green spots) its a little more than the double thick board, the across the face is much better

Edited by fritosaregood

Depending on the size of the enclosure it will either be dowels or all thread. Then of course 45s, glass, and a ton of resin.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace