Sonic Electronix

I am debating on what amp to get for my new subs. I need at least 5k...And it has to handle my daily driving... 30+ minute trips up and down the state and usually the volume is quite high if not full tilt...

I've heard good things about Atomic and have already got me some quotes on both models but I want info from those who have owned them.

Maybe some of you can answer some of my questions.

Is the 5k under rated?

Are either of both .5 ohm stable?

Does the "bass knob" control bass boost or gain?

I'm sure I'll think of more but yea im interested in hearing what these amps are all about. I really like what I've heard about them so far.

Untitled-2.jpg

My Videos

AQ + AA/Fi FTMFW!!!!!

they are a bit underrated, they are half ohm stable and yea they come with a bass knob

its cheap, and alot like the RD versions of the same amps

Would you happen to know if it controls the bass boost or the gain? I like to use it to bass race. Its easier than using the HU in my opinion.

Untitled-2.jpg

My Videos

AQ + AA/Fi FTMFW!!!!!

Have you looked into an AB VFL500.1?? I've personally ran the 400.1 and 500.1 daily @ .5ohm with no issues what so ever. As long as you can keep the voltage up and make sure that it's not clipping on the Atomic or the AB @ .5ohm you shouldn't run into any sort of issues for daily.

Gotta remember that these amps will pull a very large amount of current running @ .5ohm daily and that will also create a lot of heat. So I'd suggest installing some sort of temp. gauge so that you can monitor the amp temperature and also installing a couple of small fans will help out a lot also.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

Is the 5k under rated?

No, if anything it's overrated. Does about 3.6kw @ 1 ohm @ 12v. Not as if that's anything to laugh at. But they need 14.4v+ to make 5kw.

Yes...ish... need solid electrical to play them daily like that. The longer you can keep your voltage over 14 the better they will go. You can pause burp them at 0.5 ohms easy, at 0.375 ohms the 5kw was a bit touchy and at 0.25 ohms, 12.8v you had to roll the burp.

Gain. Same as all the big Zenon's. Such a great feature IMO :)

The 5kw and the 7kw use the exact same driver board. IMO the 7k driver is quite stressed which is why you hear about people having issues with the 7k especially daily driving. Others seem to get away with it fine. Personally I would take the 5kw since they're pretty rock-solid.

EDIT of my edit: AB VFL400.1/500.1 are virtually the same as the 5k. All have vertical mosfet issues and 4IC 3s driver boards pushing 16 IRFP360LC's in the output section. The 400.1 has 20 IRF064N in the power supply whereas the 500 and Atomic have 24.

AT5k and 500.1 have 4 smaller toroids in the power supply section, 400.1 has 2 big ones.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

believe its gain...its the same control as sundown, rd, american bass and a few others

if you wanna run either at .5 hope you buy 6-7 batteries for it also

I wasnt planning on running at .5 for more than a week. my subs are dual 1 (.6 to be exact) but ill only have one in until i get the box finished.

Have you looked into an AB VFL500.1?? I've personally ran the 400.1 and 500.1 daily @ .5ohm with no issues what so ever. As long as you can keep the voltage up and make sure that it's not clipping on the Atomic or the AB @ .5ohm you shouldn't run into any sort of issues for daily.

Gotta remember that these amps will pull a very large amount of current running @ .5ohm daily and that will also create a lot of heat. So I'd suggest installing some sort of temp. gauge so that you can monitor the amp temperature and also installing a couple of small fans will help out a lot also.

Not planning on .5 just making sure so when/if i do for the first week or so i dont hurt anything right off the bat. I have a voltage gauge i dont plan on pushing the amp that hard on one of my brand new subs.

Building an "enclosure" for the amp with some PAC fans in it anyway to help keep it cool. These amps are scary expensive... want to make sure i can take car of it :)

I havent looked into the ABVFL500.1. what is an Est. price on one of them?

Is the 5k under rated?

No, if anything it's overrated. Does about 3.6kw @ 1 ohm @ 12v. Not as if that's anything to laugh at. But they need 14.4v+ to make 5kw.

Yes...ish... need solid electrical to play them daily like that. The longer you can keep your voltage over 14 the better they will go. You can pause burp them at 0.5 ohms easy, at 0.375 ohms the 5kw was a bit touchy and at 0.25 ohms, 12.8v you had to roll the burp.

Gain. Same as all the big Zenon's. Such a great feature IMO :)

The 5kw and the 7kw use the exact same driver board. IMO the 7k driver is quite stressed which is why you hear about people having issues with the 7k especially daily driving. Others seem to get away with it fine. Personally I would take the 5kw since they're pretty rock-solid.

EDIT of my edit: AB VFL400.1/500.1 are virtually the same as the 5k. All have vertical mosfet issues and 4IC 3s driver boards pushing 16 IRFP360LC's in the output section. The 400.1 has 20 IRF064N in the power supply whereas the 500 and Atomic have 24.

AT5k and 500.1 have 4 smaller toroids in the power supply section, 400.1 has 2 big ones.

Yea as I look more into it I'm leaning more towards the AT5k. Cheaper, enough power, easier on my current electrical, perfect for my new subs, ect.

In the next few weeks I'm sure I'll be posting a WTB thread for one of these amps.

Thanks for your opinions guys. Glad I got educated answers vs someones guesses! :)

Untitled-2.jpg

My Videos

AQ + AA/Fi FTMFW!!!!!

not to thread jack... but im going to be getting a 7k (hopefully) i have 2 batteries including a batcap4000 in the back.. 5 runs of zero gauge... do you think i'd have a problem running this amp at 1ohm with gains way down.. i only need 3500 ish watts and i have a dc 270xp alt at 15.5 volts daily

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

the atomic 7k has a v2 board, way better for daily and looks like this

1044db4b.jpg

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

not to thread jack... but im going to be getting a 7k (hopefully) i have 2 batteries including a batcap4000 in the back.. 5 runs of zero gauge... do you think i'd have a problem running this amp at 1ohm with gains way down.. i only need 3500 ish watts and i have a dc 270xp alt at 15.5 volts daily

i would get another batcap and you'll be good dude

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

Archived