Sundown Audio

need to be double checked

LordArcane

ok i hooked dmm up to the out puts of my amp set the dmm to ac volts all that jazz did a 50hz tone at 0db and got a reading of 42.9acv.

now if i did my math right that would = 1840.41 watts @ 1ohm at 50hz 0db

some how i kinda don't beleive it cuz well its the amp in my sig and yeah really don't see it putting out that much. its little late right now but i'll hook dmm up again tomarrow

anyways did i do the math right?

thanks

Jon

he knows that killer thats why he thinks it isnt right and hes asking someone to check it.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

ok first off all the "BAMF" series amps are over-rated by far

ya that don't help me lol i know for a fact its not pushing that much, hell its rated for 1200rms @1ohm and i know it don't even do that. thats why i'm more then a little confused here thats why i'm asking if i did the math right and if i didn't do it right whats the right way to figure out ac volts into watts

Thanks

Jon

you have to check amperage to get wattage also a oscope will tell you if the power is clean and the amp should have a load on it to find wattage

i know the o scope, the clamp i heard that was only way to do it but seen on here few times could be done with just dmm set to ac volts. o scope the gain on amp and at the deck, clamp well not to sure how to do that myself, sure i could if i knew the way to figure out the math, anyways lol

so pretty much this whole dmm in the amp outs is total bull?

sorry for all the questions just trying to figure stuff out and best way to do that is to ask people who know

thanks

Jon

Edit:

HERE I WILL COPY AND PASTE THE INFO.

This is what we uesd to do for our SPL vehicles.

The first thing we did was use an O-scope to set all of the gains.

Unforfunetly you can't do that unless you have an O-scope.

So just set your stuff up the best you can by ear.

Next take your DMM hook the positive up to the positive speaker wire at the amp so your positive speaker wire and positive wire from the DMM are connected to the positive speaker terminal on the amp.

Now do that with the negative also. Do the negative the same way you just did the positives.

and set the DMM to AC voltage.

Now take your clamp meter and clamp that only around the positive speaker wire comming out of the amp.

Set the clamp meter to AC amperage.

Now the install part is done.

Next you need a test tone disc.

Set the volume on the head unit to were you feel everything is as loud as you think it shoud be.

Or if you have an O-scope set your volume rite at clipping. Just a hair less so your not running a clipped signal and remember that volume number becuase you will need to do all your testing at those same settings to get an accurette Idea of whats going on.

Now with the DMM set to ac voltage and the clamp meter set to ac amperage take the test tone disc and find a frequency to start with, burp your system and write down the results from the DMM and clamp meter.

Both those numbers need to be writen down at the same time or you won't get propper results.

then go up 5 hertz burp again and write it down.

then go up another 5 hertz and do it again.

Example:

start at 30 hertz burp then 35 burp 40 burp and keep doing that until you have gotten to 80 hertz.

Now the physical work is done.

Alright now you need a calculator and a place to sit down and relax and you want to well im going to write it for you the way I've got it wrote down in my notes.

AC voltage from the speaker outputs divided by the amp draw on the positive wire from the amp.

That will give you your impedance at each frequency.

Heres some thing extra for you do you really want to know how much power your amp is really making do this.

Multiply the AC voltage by its self then divide that number by the ohm loads you just came up with.

thats a heck of alot more realistic than just use 4 ohms or 2 ohms becuase you just did the work to find out what your amp is really seeing. so the wattages you come up with are alot more realistic.

I'm going to post this then I'll have another post for you that shows you how I set up my paper.

After my next post if you don't get it PM me and I'll try to help but I would like to have any question you ask to be posted in this thread so it can help others.

that the way to clamp an amp, so ya i'll have to do that one day cuz this really got me wondering now lol

thanks for looking guys

You're clipping the shit out of it. When you clip an amp you can get crazy crazy AC voltage readings... because the output isn't really AC any more and AC voltage is a time-domain thing...

Also if you didn't hook your speakers up you're not running at 1 ohm so don't forget the huge decrease in efficiency when the amp is actually loaded...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

You're clipping the shit out of it. When you clip an amp you can get crazy crazy AC voltage readings... because the output isn't really AC any more and AC voltage is a time-domain thing...

Also if you didn't hook your speakers up you're not running at 1 ohm so don't forget the huge decrease in efficiency when the amp is actually loaded...

they are hooked at 1 ohm dmm the wires and use 12volt for that its 1.1 ohms at the at the amp (yes unhooked the wires befor i put dmm on them) and as far as clipping i don't have scope so not 100% sure but if i'm clipping at 24 out of 36 on deck and amp at about 1/3 (between half and 1/4 set) on the gain so if i am clipping something must be way messed up. that and been running same set up for over year now and sub not blown yet, still reads 4 ohms on all 4 of the coils.

so ya just way confused about ti hell maybe i am clipping and just getting ungoldy luck at not blown my shit and making everything smell like crap.

i guess till i can get my hands on an o scope and a clamp i'll never know so till then i'll just have to let it eat at me lol oh well

thanks

Jon

Archived