Sonic Electronix

can you tell if a subs been clipped?

This is proable a newb question but is there anyway to tell if a subs been clipped by looking at it? If so what do you look for a mabey a picture would be nice

Setup:

Headunit: 7" indash screen

Sub: fi bl 12

Amp: Audioque 1200D

Box Ported tuned to 34hz

Big 3 done in 1/0 gauge

I've noticed 2 people recently that have been worried about clipping and I'm here to tell everyone that there is nothing wrong with a little clipping and I can almost garruntee that everyone on this forum enjoys a little bit of clipping on their subs even if they don't realize it.

A little bit of clipping = OK

Unless you have really weak or junky subwoofers.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

I've noticed 2 people recently that have been worried about clipping and I'm here to tell everyone that there is nothing wrong with a little clipping and I can almost garruntee that everyone on this forum enjoys a little bit of clipping on their subs even if they don't realize it.

Thats why I love the audioque amp. I know it isnt the only one but not too too many amps offer the clipping indicator light on the gain knob. DJ from AQ tells you the clipping is fine when it flickers but if the red light stays on constant then you are clipping too much.

2012 silverado ext cab ltz

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

Iraggi Alt + stock alt in a DC power dual alternator kit

Yellowtop+stock under hood

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

4 gauge stinger (4 chan wiring)

3 DC 10'' LVL3 with LVL4 parts

True. A little clipping wont hurt at all, just turn down the volume when it happens. But then again clipping can be caused by a bad signal from the amp

2003 CHEVY TRAILBLAZER

AKA The Batmobile

Pioneer 6000UB

Sundown SAZ-3000D

2 Audio Q HDC3's

40' of 1/0 Gauge

2 Big Rear Batteries

A 38 HZ Box

KICK ASS!

Thats why I love the audioque amp. I know it isnt the only one but not too too many amps offer the clipping indicator light on the gain knob. DJ from AQ tells you the clipping is fine when it flickers but if the red light stays on constant then you are clipping too much.

Ya from my experience just a little bit of clipping can take your subs from slammin to straight up pounding without fear of harming your stuff.

I read an article not too long ago that backs this up and it reminds me of when I was trying to blow up on of my L7s on purpose with to small of an amp.

LOL it was taking forever to blow so I started to push on the cone to knock the coil off center and I felt the center of the cone warm up slow enough that my finger ended up going through the center of the cone instead of blowing the woofer.

I hwas hesitent to send that one back to Kicker.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

Ya from my experience just a little bit of clipping can take your subs from slammin to straight up pounding without fear of harming your stuff.

I read an article not too long ago that backs this up and it reminds me of when I was trying to blow up on of my L7s on purpose with to small of an amp.

LOL it was taking forever to blow so I started to push on the cone to knock the coil off center and I felt the center of the cone warm up slow enough that my finger ended up going through the center of the cone instead of blowing the woofer.

I hwas hesitent to send that one back to Kicker.

X2 when my clip light doesnt come on at all the subs sound good and they hit hard but when I give it a little bit of a turn and the clip flashes a bit they hit alot harder. I have turned it up a little too much once or twice but I instantly smell it just because of the ported box being in a small cab so at least now I know where I can turn the knob and be safe and where im approaching the trouble range.

2012 silverado ext cab ltz

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

Iraggi Alt + stock alt in a DC power dual alternator kit

Yellowtop+stock under hood

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

4 gauge stinger (4 chan wiring)

3 DC 10'' LVL3 with LVL4 parts

What about this,

2 12" Kicker CVX's in a pre-made ported enclosure with a shitty "1200W" Max Sony amp.

She has the bass boost and gains all the way up along with the freq. I've repeatedly told her to turn that shit down but she feels "It sounds good"

How long before you think she ruins the woofers?

Edit: Sorry for post jack.

Edited by solo_x18

Derp.

What about this,

2 12" Kicker CVX's in a pre-made ported enclosure with a shitty "1200W" Max Sony amp.

She has the bass boost and gains all the way up along with the freq. I've repeatedly told her to turn that shit down but she feels "It sounds good"

How long before you think she ruins the woofers?

Edit: Sorry for post jack.

With a situation like that I would laugh if she had the same issues I had with my L7s and I have never blown an L7.

I say she will mess up the spiders within 3 months. They will probably start makeing a popping sound.

Terryswork001.png

whoops I didn't catch the ported box part.

I used a sealed box every time I messed up my woofers. (possibility of more excurrsion from the sealed box)

Terryswork001.png