Sonic Electronix

im in the market for a good pair of over-ear headphones. ive been to a few home audio shops and listened to a few. the real problem is that the shops dont have a lot of inventory to try out. so now im on here asking for some advice.

ive got a budget of $200 to 250, main thing im looking for is bass response and of course accurate mids and highs. if i had to say what my listening preferences were i would say: aggressive with rich bass.

ive looked at the monster beats by dr. dre for $300 at BB ($250 at abesofmaine.com), they seem to be in the lead. ive listened to some senn's wireless, not impressed. some grado 125's, thats when i learned i wanted a close air design. i did listen to some denons that were pretty good, but i was not really impressed with the design and the bass was lacking but did have one of the best next to the monsters. a couple models of bose, friend has a pair i like, but i cannot get the same model lol.

i dont want to be a hater but i would like to stay far away from bose and sony.

also looking for a closed ear design as i will be mobile some of the time. i will be listening off my ipod mostly.

thanks for any input.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of my buddies is very wealthy and he has the dr. dre headphones you are talking about. they are amazing. accurate, detailed bass and perfect mids and highs. they are very nice. i dont have much experience with headphones though but i thought they had awesome SQ

i love those bose ones..... i listened to the dre ones at BB they sounded good but i rather have the bose headphones....

Edited by Nic

Full eclipse system is next on list.. soon to gut and redo the honda as new project/rolling buissness card :)

i miss the sound of those old school strokers on beast amps :(

My buddy let me borrow his Beats for a day and I must say they were amazing. But $300 will always be a lot to ask for a pair of headphones.

The Sennheiser HD555 are an amazing set...usually go for around $150.

If you're looking for amazing sound quality I would not look for something wireless, just a heads up.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

if u want good headphones go with senheisser, beyerdynamic, grado, audiotechnica, sony (DJ or Studio), AKG

the only person i wouldnt let build my box would be Ray.

Team Heavy-Flex4 SA 12's tuned to 29hz

Ampere Audio 3800.1 @ 1 ohmXS Power D3100Big 3Stock alt

My buddy let me borrow his Beats for a day and I must say they were amazing. But $300 will always be a lot to ask for a pair of headphones.

The Sennheiser HD555 are an amazing set...usually go for around $150.

If you're looking for amazing sound quality I would not look for something wireless, just a heads up.

i wasnt looking for wirless, its just what they had.

i listened to all the wireless ones the dude had, and they were ok, but no bass.

have you tried the HD555's?

EDIT: just looked on senn's website, they say they are an open aire design. i will be mobile, so i need a closed design.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headp...adphones_005343

if u want good headphones go with senheisser, beyerdynamic, grado, audiotechnica, sony (DJ or Studio), AKG

tried grado, didnt like them. they were open design. and i am staying far away from sony.

sounds like your just listing names. i would really like first hand expirences.

Edited by Gavinvoy

I tried the 555s once at the local Apple store while they stocked them there. (they switch out their headphones for some reason)

No internal amp like the Beats, so it takes a little more to drive them, but the sound is way worth it. Plus the price being half that of the Beats doesn't hurt either.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

o yeh forgot to mention theres 2 types of over the ear headphones open and closed...i prefer closed (more bassy :P)...and wuts wrong with sony headphones? i have the MDR-V700's and they sound great had them for 3 years n their still going strong...bangin caddy has them also :P

the only person i wouldnt let build my box would be Ray.

Team Heavy-Flex4 SA 12's tuned to 29hz

Ampere Audio 3800.1 @ 1 ohmXS Power D3100Big 3Stock alt

IMO Beats by Dre are fucking TERRIBLE. Flat, boring, lifeless sound. Fucking awful. Throw them in the bargain bin with Skullcandy, I listened to them for about 5 minutes and concluded they were more Monster cowshit with a ribbon around it.

Wireless is generally going to suck balls.

I think it's pretty hard to go past the Sennheiser HD555s or if you can stretch the budget a bit, 595's. Price vs Performance the 595s are very very hard to go past. Just remember they really shine best with a dedicated headphone amp.

EDIT: Ok if they have to be closed back, maybe something from AKG will fit the bill and they're very affordable from Amazon.

If you buy the Monster's I'll just despair. God they were crap. I would rather listen to a pair of ipod stock earbuds.

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!