Sundown Audio

need some help, 3500 keeps going into protect

If your running the amps UNstrapped why not wire 1 sub per amp at 0.71? 1sub/2coils/imp(0.7)=0.714

please explain... ????

2 .7 coils to one amp (what he did) in parallel = .375 (the load he had) or 1.4 in series (what he wanted...)

how do you wire 1 amp to 1 sub at .714 ohms??

Pioneer 500UB

1 LVL4 15" 4.3cubes tuned to 35HZ

BXi1606D

1/0

Red top in back

JBL 5 1/4's front

Infinity Kappa 6 1/2's rear

145.7 Legal on music New Audio Control

Let me ask you this is this not right? 3 Dual 2 subs can wire at 0.25? I thought I said it. 1 dvc 0.7 sub has 2 coils correct?

So take 1 sub divided by 2 coils divided by 0.7. 1 divided by 2= 0.5, 0.5 divided by 0.7= 0.71

or the original example I said:

3 subs divided by 6 coils= 0.5, 0.5 divided by the resistance of 2ohm, 0.5 divided by 2 = 0.25 and oddly enough thats what my fluke multimeter reads vehicle off, did I do somthing wrong here?

Let me ask you this is this not right? 3 Dual 2 subs can wire at 0.25? I thought I said it. 1 dvc 0.7 sub has 2 coils correct?

So take 1 sub divided by 2 coils divided by 0.7. 1 divided by 2= 0.5, 0.5 divided by 0.7= 0.71

or the original example I said:

3 subs divided by 6 coils= 0.5, 0.5 divided by the resistance of 2ohm, 0.5 divided by 2 = 0.25 and oddly enough thats what my fluke multimeter reads vehicle off, did I do somthing wrong here?

a dual .7 sub can only be wired to .35 or 1.4

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

So which is series, which is parellel and which is series paralleled?

1 dual 0.7 sub can be wired to 0.7, 0.35, 1.4

1 sub divided by 1 coil divided by 0.7= 1.4

1 sub divided by 2 coils divided by 0.7 (using 1 coil only)=0.7

0.7 divided by 2 = 0.35

need we keep going? Explain to me how this is not right? Do you not take the amount of subs divided by the amount of coils divided by the resistance? Cause if you dont please explain how you get a 1.4 ohm load? Im not saying its the option to use Im sayin its possible you would be using 1 side of the sub per say, but normally coils are wound together (internally wound)? I have seen this done alot in the competiton lanes an seems to have worked really well to get more power or the imp your looking for and I actually know a guy personally that has won 2 world titles in usaci using this method so it does happen to work. If 0.35 doesnt work for you cause the amp goes into protect (voltage probably dips to low on deep bass notes) and 1.4 yields an ohm load higher then you would like (because of imp rise) then obviously you could do 0.7 and more then likely be into more power vs 1.4 considering your electrical would handle it. Is that not logical an correct?

Edited by jmanjr82

So which is series, which is parellel and which is series paralleled?

1 dual 0.7 sub can be wired to 0.7, 0.35, 1.4

1 sub divided by 1 coil divided by 0.7= 1.4

1 sub divided by 2 coils divided by 0.7=0.7

need we keep going? Explain to me how this is not right? Do you not take the amount of subs divided by the amount of coils divided by the resistance? Cause if you dont please explain how you get a 1.4 ohm load? That would be jumping from 1 post to another making the sub 1 coil right or wrong?

so lets try it

1 divided by 1 divided by 0.7 = 1.4 right? (1.428571 repeating) if you want to get all mathmatical

You cannot wire a D 0.7 sub to 0.7. Fundamental mathematics and physics....

No, you do not take the number of subs divided by number of coils divided by resistance...

Let's say 2 DVC 4 ohm subs, which we all know gives a 1 ohm load parallel/parellel.

2 subs divided by 2 coils = 1. 1 divided by 4 = 0.25.

Resistance in SERIES = R1 + R2 + R3.....

2 0.7 ohm coils in SERIES = 0.7 + 0.7 = 1.4

Resistance in PARALLEL: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...

2 0.7 ohm coils in PARALLEL: 1/Rt = 1/0.7 + 1/0.2 = 2/0.7

2/0.7 = 2.857

1/Rt = 2.857

Therefore Rt = 1/2.857... = 0.35

I don't know where the hell you got your equation from because it is wrong wrongity wrong wrong.

EDIT again: Quick and dirty, for parallel/parallel wiring you can do Resistance of 1 coil divided by TOTAL number of coils.

For example:

1 DVC4 sub

4/2 = 2

2 DVC4 subs

4/4 = 1

1 DVC0.7 sub

0.7/2 = 0.35

EDIT:

OP - Check the ground/shield resistance of your RCAs - if the shield/ground is bad on one it will often make the amp behave oddly.

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

yes I totally understand that and what I said is valid. Same as a pair of D2 subs can be wired to 0.5 so on an so fourth man its simple, as I stated its uncommon to do, but it has been proven to work you wire 1 coil on a 0.7sub and guess what you get 0.7 load and coils are internally wound (some will say dont do this) but it has yet to hurt a sub and has won a few world titles and I have ran subs like that for over a year with no problems. Like I said there is logic, it makes sense, but you say Im wrong, thats fine not a problem, realistically it works an usaci titles to prove so.

Edited by jmanjr82

yes I totally understand that and what I said is valid. Same as a pair of D2 subs can be wired to 0.5 so on an so fourth man its simple, as I stated its uncommon to do, but it has been proven to work you wire 1 coil on a 0.7sub and guess what you get 0.7 load and coils are internally wound (some will say dont do this) but it has yet to hurt a sub and has won a few world titles and I have ran subs like that for over a year with no problems. Like I said there is logic, it makes sense, but you say Im wrong, thats fine not a problem, realistically it works an usaci titles to prove so.

Super thread jack continued... yes you can run just one coil but you end up with slightly over half the original power handling. 3.5kw on 1 coil of a DC Level 5 = cabin full of stinky smoke. Powering 1 coil is an SQ thing - if you short the other coil or leave it unpowered you can change the Qes and hence overall Q of the sub to suit different enclosures. For example DLS high end SQ subs recommend only running 1 coil if the sub is in a sealed box. I don't see any SPL competitors running just 1 coil... Run 1 coil on a DC Level 5, honestly, that's some SableNave level advice right there.

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!