Is there any way for the average joe to check how many amps an alternator is putting out?

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

Is there any way for the average joe to check how many amps an alternator is putting out?

If it's not a H/O alt, you can go to autozone, pepboys, etc. And they can check it for you

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

ugh, no!

All they will do is wheel out some rinky dink cart with a tester on it that they never know how to hook up properly. and all they can do is tell you if your alt is good or bad.

Well I remember reading a topic on here a while back saying that they didn't know how to test properly for a H/O alt and stuff. But the autozone near my house tested my alt in my ranger and told me it was a 95amp alt, which ended up being true.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

The thing is I have no idea what kind of alt (HO or not) it is because it was on the car when I bought it, all I know its not the stock one.

And the clamp with a burp wouldn't work for me cuz I don't even have a head unit in my car so the burp wouldn't be possible.

Kl0wn do you remember how much they charged you to check?

Edited by Berto

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

24" Rims

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

The thing is I have no idea what kind of alt (HO or not) it is because it was on the car when I bought it, all I know its not the stock one.

And the clamp with a burp wouldn't work for me cuz I don't even have a head unit in my car so the burp wouldn't be possible.

Kl0wn do you remember how much they charged you to check?

Its free of charge to have them "test" your alternator.. but its nothing special.

If the auto parts store is lucky enough to have the nicer equitment, they are only able to load the alts down to 80-90 amps..

Most likely if it was on the car when you got it, its not a high output alternator. It may have to a crap and the last owner just bought a new or reman alt or a slightly higher amperage alt that maybe 5-20 amps higher.

Its free of charge to have them "test" your alternator.. but its nothing special.

If the auto parts store is lucky enough to have the nicer equitment, they are only able to load the alts down to 80-90 amps..

Most likely if it was on the car when you got it, its not a high output alternator. It may have to a crap and the last owner just bought a new or reman alt or a slightly higher amperage alt that maybe 5-20 amps higher.

So if I go to a parts store for them to check it and the amp is more than 90 amps then I wouldn't be able to find out from them? And that could be the case but the guy was somewhat into systems so maybe it could have been a cheap HO alt, but I'm not gonna get my hope so high.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

24" Rims

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

So if I go to a parts store for them to check it and the amp is more than 90 amps then I wouldn't be able to find out from them? And that could be the case but the guy was somewhat into systems so maybe it could have been a cheap HO alt, but I'm not gonna get my hope so high.

DO NOT go to ANY autoparts store to try and determine alternator output, they do not have the equipment to do it.

They told the poster above that he had a 95 amp alt, because they looked it up in the computer and saw that the vehicle was supposed to come with a 95 amp alternator. Wait untill you have a system, and test it with an amp clamp.

DO NOT go to ANY autoparts store to try and determine alternator output, they do not have the equipment to do it.

They told the poster above that he had a 95 amp alt, because they looked it up in the computer and saw that the vehicle was supposed to come with a 95 amp alternator. Wait untill you have a system, and test it with an amp clamp.

If I wait for the system to try the alt on a clamp could that kill my alt if I put to much stress on it cuz I'm gonna need a couple extra batteries in the back?

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

24" Rims

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k