Are multiple-alternators really rare?

Is having multiple alternators in your car really strange? I live on a military base, and as with every military base there are lots of local shops that prey on military men and women with too much disposable income, so I'm a fan of multiple opinions. Now I went to three different audio shops in the area (who all charge ridiculous amounts of money) and they all share the common response when I talk about installing multiple alternators:

"Why would you do that? Just install the [300 amp] one and you should be fine [for 10,000 watts]."

.. :unknw: Now I know they're completely wrong, 10 kW at 14.4v is ~700 amps, but it just seems strange that these people who build competition cars would not know anything about improving the electrical ability of a music system :o And they all share the same opinion on fusing as well (after they try selling me a 40$ inline fuse holder...)

"Don't bother fusing anything, all it does is tell you when you need to buy a new amplifier."

Well, I for one don't want to arc weld any part of my truck unintentionally so I'll be fusing, thank you very much. But is there some memo I've been missing?? Please enlighten me before I smack these people with my deebeez :hairtrick:

They aren't rare at all. There are alot of guys on here that run multiple alt setups. Things like that is why I have lost faith in shops. If they don't sell it or do it then its garbage and/or a waste of time and taking advantage of people, especially men and women in the military makes me sick

/rant

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

More alternators is always better, but unfortunately it can be a real chalenge to set up brackets that work properly, unless you are a good fabricator yourself. Off the shelf dual alternator kits are really only availble for a couple select vehicles.

Archived