Second Skin Audio

round port area to slot port area

I know how to find round port area and all but when using round port(s) for an enclosure should I use the equal amount to square/slot port as recommended in Exosport's calc?

Ex: building 3.5 cube box in trunk for a single 15" but using round external port

and should i use:

- 6" port

- 4" port

- 3" port

and how many?

1998 Monte Carlo Z34

Stock HU but have replacement

Stock Highs

Stock Electrical

BTL 18 sitting naked

AP1500D

i wanna know this as well

i think i read somewhere you can use less with round but im not sure

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I dont really understand what your asking? But you would want to go with what the sub calls for on port area. When I do aeros I like to go with 6inch because it has always worked for me no matter in trunks, or suvs. Thats all personal though man. Some people say 12-16 sq of port area per cube so if thats the case you would be looking at 2-6inch aeros. (16X3.5=56) which is 16sqin of port per cube

3.14x3x3x2=56.52 sqin of port area using 2-6inch aeros. Normally using aeros will also keep your imp down. Its a hit or miss overall man some people claim aeros sound like crap for daily, but again its going to be personal preferance.

Edited by jmanjr82

I dont really understand what your asking? But you would want to go with what the sub calls for on port area. When I do aeros I like to go with 6inch because it has always worked for me no matter in trunks, or suvs. Thats all personal though man. Some people say 12-16 sq of port area per cube so if thats the case you would be looking at 2-6inch aeros. (16X3.5=56) which is 16sqin of port per cube

3.14x3x3x2=56.52 sqin of port area using 2-6inch aeros

its calls for 3.4 cubes with 2 4" ports at 8.25" but thats i guess 40hz and i want 36hz i would think 25 sq of port be too small

1998 Monte Carlo Z34

Stock Highs

Stock Electrical

BTL 18 sitting naked

AP1500D

2 4inch aeros at 8.25inches long would be roughly 42hz. Flared on both ends or no? It depends on what kind of setup really. Big numbers normally are done with small boxes with little port area and big power. If you want it tuned down around 36hz then perhaps try

2-6inch aeros 28inches long. That should give you plenty of port area and get you the tuning you want in a 3.4cube box.

2 4inch aeros at 8.25inches long would be roughly 42hz. Flared on both ends or no? It depends on what kind of setup really. Big numbers normally are done with small boxes with little port area and big power. If you want it tuned down around 36hz then perhaps try

2-6inch aeros 28inches long. That should give you plenty of port area and get you the tuning you want in a 3.4cube box.

flared on both ends and only on crunch power zone 1000.1 for now so bout 500 rms at 1 ohm

Edited by anubis

1998 Monte Carlo Z34

Stock Highs

Stock Electrical

BTL 18 sitting naked

AP1500D

The less port area you use youre going to get more port velocity which can increase output but that also goes hand in hand with port noise.

Square ports are known to have more port noise than round ports which is why you need more port area for a slot port. To keep port noise down.

Personally Im using half of my recommended slot port area with my round ports. I dont have any port noise.

1999 Pontiac Sunfire

Alpine CDA-9886

Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D

Sundown Audio SAX-50.4

Rainbow SAC 265.25 Components

Image Dynamics iD12

Optima Yellow Top

SQFire FTW.

With round/aero ports I suggest anywhere from 7-10in^2 of port area per ft3... To the OP - remember that since you're using external aeros you don't have to account for area taken up by the ports as if they were inside the enclosure.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

With round/aero ports I suggest anywhere from 7-10in^2 of port area per ft3... To the OP - remember that since you're using external aeros you don't have to account for area taken up by the ports as if they were inside the enclosure.

thank you! all of you! this is why SMD is my only choice in forums

1998 Monte Carlo Z34

Stock Highs

Stock Electrical

BTL 18 sitting naked

AP1500D