Sonic Electronix

Trying to get a job at a local audio shop

just out of curiousity, who should I give this paper to when I walk in there? like who do I ask for???

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

Ok, I'm gonna be a gigantic arsehole here. I'm just being realistic, so shoot me.

How many installs have you actually done?

Shops don't care about quarter wave, CAD, reconing, that kind of thing. They care about cookie-cutter headunit installs, alarm installs, remote starts, headrest TVs. That's where the money is. How many of them have you done?

In 2 years at this shop I think I've done (for customers) 1 horn and I think 3 SPL boxes. Total. And that's because this shop is known as the go-to place for crazy boxes. There's NO demand for that kind of thing. And to be brutally honest, when someone comes in and wants an exotic build, you're not gonna be working on it. Even if you get a job there you're probably gonna be the shop bitch for a long time. I hope you know how to handle a broom and order coffee.

I'm not saying you can't get a job at a shop when you're young. I was working on show cars when I was 19 but shit man, not to boast but I had a SHITLOAD more experience than you already.

From the second you walk in to that shop you're gonna be learning. Fast. In a shop you work to a convention, everyone does everything the same. If a car you did comes back for any reason and the other installers can't understand your install because you didn't work to the shop's conventions, you're gonna be down the road pretty fast.

And I'm gonna really be a shitbag here and say that you need to look back through some of your early threads on here. You take VERY badly to any criticism and don't seem to like being told to do things differently. Look at the RE MT thread, do you remember that? Remember trying to tell me about the internal thermal fuses on your amps? Don't make me go dig it up. You're gonna have to COMPLETELY drop that attitude if you wanna work at a shop. You do it the way the boss says, the way the shop does it, even if you think it's not the way you would do it. Unless you've been installing a long long time (which you haven't) don't make suggestions unless you're asked for them, you'll just piss people off.

Are you sure you're ready to work as an installer? Remember that if you fuck a trim panel up on a 2010 Corvette it's probably coming out of your pay packet.

I don't wanna be a downer but dude, I haven't seen anything you've posted on here that remotely suggests that you're ready to go work at a shop.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I have to agree with boon not as harsh but. Its all about what is going to make the shop money. Like right now there is 3 installers at the shop i work at including me and we do about 3 to 5 remote starts a day plus all the other bs. I do all the custom at my shop and have been to numerous schools most recent was the mobile solutions traing in arizona. Therefore i would not let someone come in and think they are going to start taking my custom work because thats going to take money out of my pocket.

When you go into the shop go straight to the shop owner and ask if he has a minute to sit down and talk with you. I am just going to tell you there is no way he will hire you as an installer. You will have to start as a runner and prove yourself to the owner and lead tech. I dont know if u have looked at a mecp book atley but they just rewrote the entry level and its bigger than the advanced and master book. It is not a walk in the park to get it anymore. But if you can prove to the owner you know what you are doing he would prob foot the bill for yu to take the test. But good luck and jus t try to get your foot in the door.

94 lincoln mark viii

h/u: kenwood kvt 614 Excelon

comps: alpine type x

amps: mtx 1501d mtx 4004

sub:2 DC lv4 12

wiring jl audio 0awg 8 awg sub

jl audio 4 awg for mid and highs amp

myspace.com/kylecm85

carstereolexington.com

Shops usually dont care about reconing woofers and Auto CAD.

They would care most that you can install head units and alarms/rem starts. very fast, and without problems coming back.

They also care that you are self sufficient in installing those everyday items and dont need to be shown or told what to do.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

YEA! Take what these ^^ guys said and spin it around as a challenge and prove them wrong.

I own a machining buisness and finding people with a work skill that "wants to work" is a challenge. I would rather find the guy that knows nothing, but wants to work, willing to learn and grow then the "expert" slacker.

With enough heart, you can do/become anything you want to be.

93' Ford Aerostar

Alpine head unit

4-5.25 MB Quarts

20-10" pyramids super Pro

1 Lanzar amp

the way i got my job was by going and hanging out at the shop and talking and shit.... and whenever i did my driveway installs, i bought any equipment from there... i turned 18 in jan 08, and my last semester of senior year had one morning class, so i talked to the manager and one thing led to another, by feb i was working there after school..... and boon is eactly right, most of your work will be head units, BASIC amps, alarms, and headrest/overhead dvd systems....... and youll need to do those alone, problem free, and fairly quickly....... if you do get a job, good luck with it, stick to it, pay attention and youll possibly be running shit one day... i know personally, ive learned a metric ASSTON in the (almost) two years that ive been at my shop.........

2003 Toyota Sequoia

Pioneer 4100dvd

Memphis PR6.5 3ways in all four doors

Memphis PR 15s (4)

Memphis PR 1.1000 (2)

Memphis PR 4.50 (1)

Optima Yellowtop (2)

Viper 5901

8000k H.I.D. kit

15% tint (2layers)

Ok, I'm gonna be a gigantic arsehole here. I'm just being realistic, so shoot me.

How many installs have you actually done?

Shops don't care about quarter wave, CAD, reconing, that kind of thing. They care about cookie-cutter headunit installs, alarm installs, remote starts, headrest TVs. That's where the money is. How many of them have you done?

In 2 years at this shop I think I've done (for customers) 1 horn and I think 3 SPL boxes. Total. And that's because this shop is known as the go-to place for crazy boxes. There's NO demand for that kind of thing. And to be brutally honest, when someone comes in and wants an exotic build, you're not gonna be working on it. Even if you get a job there you're probably gonna be the shop bitch for a long time. I hope you know how to handle a broom and order coffee.

I'm not saying you can't get a job at a shop when you're young. I was working on show cars when I was 19 but shit man, not to boast but I had a SHITLOAD more experience than you already.

From the second you walk in to that shop you're gonna be learning. Fast. In a shop you work to a convention, everyone does everything the same. If a car you did comes back for any reason and the other installers can't understand your install because you didn't work to the shop's conventions, you're gonna be down the road pretty fast.

And I'm gonna really be a shitbag here and say that you need to look back through some of your early threads on here. You take VERY badly to any criticism and don't seem to like being told to do things differently. Look at the RE MT thread, do you remember that? Remember trying to tell me about the internal thermal fuses on your amps? Don't make me go dig it up. You're gonna have to COMPLETELY drop that attitude if you wanna work at a shop. You do it the way the boss says, the way the shop does it, even if you think it's not the way you would do it. Unless you've been installing a long long time (which you haven't) don't make suggestions unless you're asked for them, you'll just piss people off.

Are you sure you're ready to work as an installer? Remember that if you fuck a trim panel up on a 2010 Corvette it's probably coming out of your pay packet.

I don't wanna be a downer but dude, I haven't seen anything you've posted on here that remotely suggests that you're ready to go work at a shop.

it has been quite a long time since they were posted, i've grown up quite a bit, i've done about 35 installs since that post was done. each one of them installs required a headunit and wires ran, and i've got the fact im gonna be learning, thats why I dropped the shit on this forum, cus I made such a bad impression I didnt even want to be on this site any more because I made myself look like a dumbass, I want to actually be able to afford some of the crazy systems out there, now I know this shop shouldnt be that hard to get into, and I dont even care if i'll be sweeping and mopping the floor, because I need cash. Not having cash to do builds is what mainly made me look foolish.

its very amazing how much you can learn in one year. since that RE post, I actually decided to learn ohms law, how box gain works, wrote programs in excel.

looking back upon my self a year ago made me look like an idiot.

trust me, there is a big difference between today and then.

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

You will have to start as a runner and prove yourself to the owner and lead tech.

no mean to sound dumb (cus its probably common knowledge on here) What would a runner be? <might help knowing that I just literally got up>

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

i would include pictures of your work for sure, and most places want you to be 18 for insurance reasons, good luck man

Pictures very important to have. x 2

Pictures very important to have. x 2

indeed, just for the hell of it I might throw some pictures of current work (like done last week current) of the box behind me, i've been doing tiny things on this thing for almost a year now, just havent had the time to finish it up, ports still arent glued in, lol (5.4 cube, 2 6" diameter tubes, 527.52sq.in. of port <dunno if thats right, testing out my math without coffee and 6 hours of sleep [not to mention just getting up] lead to math that doesnt work out>

and no one answered my question that I posted above ^^;

Who exactly do I need to ask for to give this paper? Its basically just a Letter of Interest and a Resume

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

Archived