File Servers

Guest MegaloManiac

Guest MegaloManiac

I would like to create a file access server. Anybody know a good program to do so? Anybody have expierince with Windows 2003 Server or ZFTP server?

Requirments id like:

- GUI based (for ease of use & eye candy)

- Easy to use

- Accessable over the net

I tried setting up a server with Linux, and after about 2 hours I got it to work kinda. But, I don't have a static ip so it didn't work out. I used Slax Server Edition, was a bitch to work with.

Edit: David you any good with networking 2 pc's to share a hard drive? I have tried so many tutorials, I have windows xp pro on one pc and windows xp media center on the other but I have had no luck

Edited by BassJunkie

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

yea i have 3 computers 2 running xp pro corporate edition there on a wired network router sharing 1 dsl line. I had 2 pcs almost sharing files but i cant for the life of me get all 3 to see each other or to share the printer thats on one of the pcs :(

xp has a network wizard, you have to run it on all the pc's, if you dont have xp on the second computer you'll have to make a floppy disk, the wizard will do this for you.

I ran a apache server on my pc a few yrs ago, its a pita to get it right.

xp has a network wizard, you have to run it on all the pc's, if you dont have xp on the second computer you'll have to make a floppy disk, the wizard will do this for you.

I ran a apache server on my pc a few yrs ago, its a pita to get it right.

Yeah that wizard is worthless wouldnt work for me

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

megalo, didnt you have a powermac g5 desktop also??

If so, just run xserv on it!! =D

I know you got that amazing MacBook!! =D

what kind of computer you running on it, like you trying to take a desktop, setup a server access and save files to it and have it accesable from anywhere on the net...?

06 SCION tC

Guest MegaloManiac

the G5 is at the studio we use that for video-editing/authoring only.

the server really is just for personal use. i have a lot of music, pics, videos, & program id like to access via net. especially when my cousin needs a program bad. i havea PC at home. its an AMD x2 3800+ with 1.5gb and 310gb of hdd & a nv6800xt card. my DSL is th SBC/AT&T Elite,the highest sbc has to offer for the resident use. i do have Vista ultimate on it with virtual pC 2007 running XP Corporate edition. I figured out VNC today, but thats just to access it remotely i cant do any file transfer to it or from it.

edit: i am addicted to my new MacBook. i already have bootcamp on it :)...like i need it :rolleyes:

Edited by MegaloManiac