Sonic Electronix

lessons and questions on clipping

i want this to be a very helpful topic. if you have knowledge of what im talking about please give as much detail as possible.

i got a tone generator for xmas and ive setup a little testing station in my room. i quickly found out that if i set the gains with a 1000hz tone i would get very bad clipping when i droped the frequency to 250~hz. i thought this was pretty interesting seeing as how this is how everyone is told to set the gains for the mids and highs. i didnt use the dmm at all in this so its not exactly how everyone sets gains but it gives me an idea of a potential problem. i made a couple little videos to help explain.

th_P1020688.jpg

th_P1020690.jpg

so here you can see that even though the volume was not changed, when the frequency was lowered it started to clip. but when i raise the frequency i didnt get it to clip. of corse i didnt try anything over 5khz so who knows whats going on up there. it got too annoying hearing something so high pitch lol. anyways, perhaps some of you could help me test this out. set your gains for your mids/highs with a 80hz tone instead and tell me if you get better low end responce from your mids. also report how your highs are effected if they are on the same channel.

this is very early testing, i may have been doing something wrong but it seems pretty straight forward so far. if anyone sees any flaws in how i did this please go ahead and comment.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

huh... i thought for sure that decaf would have left some info for this.

bump

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

I would also like to know I just got my first 2 channel so tuning it is beyond me.. I used a 1k hz tone and used an oscope but this could be interesting.

interesting indeed... i think tomorrow ill setup both speakers and set the gains with a dmm just like you normally would and see if this still happens. just need to find my damn DMM lol. ill report what i find.

i need to make a little box for these speakers, they are jumping around on the table on anything below 300hz lol

This seems to raise a good argument as to normal tuning procedures.. Im waiting for someone to say why this doesnt matter, lol.

But i will be tuned in for any answers, and hopefully some testing?? :D

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around

so if you set you amp with a 1000hz tone you will almost always be clipping down below 100hz? i mean, if everyone is setting gains at a high fs isnt this a problem?

• 1 month later...

i set mine unloaded for subs i use a 40hz for subwoofer. midbass i used a 100hz tone, and for mids and highs a 1000hz+

i then plug the speaker in and play its lowest frequency (your subsonic point or crossover point) And i roll into the volume and make sure the speaker can MECHANICALLY handle the power im giving it at its LOWEST frequency.

This is really nice when doing a 3way to make sure you have your crossover and or subsonic slopes set correctly....so when theres a low note in the song it doesnt tear itself apart.

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

i set mine unloaded for subs i use a 40hz for subwoofer. midbass i used a 100hz tone, and for mids and highs a 1000hz+

i then plug the speaker in and play its lowest frequency (your subsonic point or crossover point) And i roll into the volume and make sure the speaker can MECHANICALLY handle the power im giving it at its LOWEST frequency.

This is really nice when doing a 3way to make sure you have your crossover and or subsonic slopes set correctly....so when theres a low note in the song it doesnt tear itself apart.

bingo.

i use 50hz on subs, 150 on mids and 1k for everything else.

Remember if you are using a 0db tone ... your music will never reach that most likely.

then I will play a very heavy track and check the scope again.

your normal BR track work well for this.

rubberbands, jeezy, etc.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Archived