What would i need to make a small 2.1 System?

I live in a small college dorm most of the year for school... i currently have my logitech z-5500 system in there, which is just too big for such a small room.

What kind of amp would i need to buy to make myself a small little 2.1 sound system for my computer in my dorm.

Would i want like a 4 channel amp for a car, or some cheap plate amp for home.

For the low end i would do a 5" Tang Band sub in a t-line, and for the mid/high end i would just do some cheap component speakers.

I looked at the premade system from logitech and Harmon and Creative, But i just cant spend 100 bucks for a system that bottoms out at 40hz, and has such a low RMS power level.

This could be a fun little project =] I just need some suggestions.

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around

• 2 weeks later...

get a 4ch crunch amp ther cheap to buy

MEMBER>>Team Pulse Car Audio

97 Z71 sierra

8" jl w0 md 400watt amp and dvd system

2000 malibu

1 18" old style btl, jl audio 1000/1v2 build in progress

My YouTube

100% positive buyer feedback on eBay mmatsjugg306 is my ID there

[topic='http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/148756-dd9515mmatsjugg-feedback/']leave me feedback hear for buying and selling[/topic]

rps20121104_200858.jpgSDC11631-1.jpg

For god's sake don't go the 12V amp in the home way. You have so many voltage changes before you drop a rectiformer before a 12V amp already. It's like saying 'Let's build a car where the engine is connected to a hamster that turns a cog that spins a planet which pumps water through a pipe which plants trees which are burnt to spin the wheels.'

Buy a cheap 2 chanel amp. We have a store called Dick Smiths here in AUS, you can buy little 2 channel amplifiers for $60-$70. Get some cheap, used bookshelf loudspeakers from god-knows-where, build a sub-bass speaker you like and buy a cheap little woofer 'plate amp'. Problem solved.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

For god's sake don't go the 12V amp in the home way. You have so many voltage changes before you drop a rectiformer before a 12V amp already. It's like saying 'Let's build a car where the engine is connected to a hamster that turns a cog that spins a planet which pumps water through a pipe which plants trees which are burnt to spin the wheels.'

Buy a cheap 2 chanel amp. We have a store called Dick Smiths here in AUS, you can buy little 2 channel amplifiers for $60-$70. Get some cheap, used bookshelf loudspeakers from god-knows-where, build a sub-bass speaker you like and buy a cheap little woofer 'plate amp'. Problem solved.

Cheers,

Mick

^^^this. why does everyone want to try and use car audio for home use?

JZeFF, I feel your pain. I also live in a college dorm. I also have the Z-5500's. They are waaaaaaaay too loud for a dorm room. However, just use the volume knob and keep it at a respectable level. Always good to have the headroom anyways.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

This is what I would do......

1) Hoping you have a descent 2ch amp, maybe a 100wx2, a used HK would be great.....

2) get yourself a nice 8" - 6" DVC subwoofer that would be used in a ported box more than likely- DVC4ohm, or DVC8ohm

3) either some 8ohm coaxes, or some home audio component set up, some 4" and silk domes

4) study crossovers, and build a passive 12db-24db crossover that will HP the components about 120hz or so, and LP same freq and lower

run the amp in stereo mode, and go from Xover to speakers, should sound great, Ive done it many times

OR, get one of them Dayton plate amps from Parts express for about $80-120, and use that for your sub

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

i dont see anything wrong with car amp in the house i have the rockford 1000bd hooked up to the sub in my pic right ther <<<<< and it's louder than most subs in house i her i have my 4 aura bass shaker's hooked up to it too sub and shaker's are at .7ohm and i is loud harman kardon amp it's pretty good and loud as shit's

MEMBER>>Team Pulse Car Audio

97 Z71 sierra

8" jl w0 md 400watt amp and dvd system

2000 malibu

1 18" old style btl, jl audio 1000/1v2 build in progress

My YouTube

100% positive buyer feedback on eBay mmatsjugg306 is my ID there

[topic='http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/148756-dd9515mmatsjugg-feedback/']leave me feedback hear for buying and selling[/topic]

rps20121104_200858.jpgSDC11631-1.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

This.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz