First Fiberglass Project

Hey guys this is my first post here, i love reading your guys topics and lookin at the sweet pics you guys post. Im 18, just got my first car a few months ago. So far got two 12" L7's tuned to 38 Hz, a hifonics brutus 1600 watt mono amp, kicker components and coaxials power by a hifonics titan 700 watt amp and a JVC HU. Went to a local db drag a week ago and hit 138.4, not the best but hey my first time. So to get to the point im atempting some fiberglass kick panels for another set of components, its my first time working with fiberglass. I kinda am following a post on this forum from a member doing the same thing. Here are some pics of the work so far, please make comments and sugections. Sorry for the quality of the pics they were takin with my phone.

Here is first layer, i taped up the stock pannel and then molded glass around it.

0527071812.jpg

Here is what it looked like after one layer. I though one layer was enough for just the mold but it wasent it was all flimsy.0528071133a.jpg

Here is after three more layers.

0528071153.jpg

Here is the speaker support. 0528072011a.jpg

And here is it glued to the mold.0528072104.jpg

Well thata all the work for today. Im gonna get some fleese tomarow and start shaping.

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

not a bad start, your going sealed?

Yea I geuss so, what else can i do its for a 5.25" component set, does it need to be seeld or no?

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

logoblack.jpg

Youre fine sealed. Porting kickpanels is pretty difficult. It works, but not necessary.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

Youre fine sealed. Porting kickpanels is pretty difficult. It works, but not necessary.

Ok thanks, like i said its my first build with fiberglass and any advice would be fine. Thanks guys

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

logoblack.jpg

That appears to be fiberglass cloth. Ditch that ASAP and get mat.

Yes it is cloth, i bought it from home depot. Tomarow im gettin 9 yards of this stuff from ebay. Is it better or not? Also will any type of epoxy work, is what im usuing now ok? Thanks for the help

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

logoblack.jpg

keep it up,man.looks good so far.that cloth is fine.cloth is actually stronger.but mat is thicker.on those kick's you don't have to be to thick.

smd2.gif

2002 nissan frontier crewcab

eclipse cd2000

mb quart prem's fr&rear

rf p4004