Sonic Electronix

and that could be the fault that i saw first hand maybe it was a poor design. a very expensive mistake. my vote is to have a very experienced plexi person/shop design and build it for you it could save you money in the long run.

I agree that someone experienced with plexi should build it.

Rigidity is very important and is one of the main variables regarding quality of sound from an enclosure. And plex is inherently flexible so it can be difficult to work with.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Plexi is very flexible so for good rigidity .75" is the thinnest I would suggest and use bracing.

If possible you can also layer a few sheets together for better strength.

BTW, just because its plex doesnt mean it will sound like shyt. As long as its rigid and designed properly then it can sound really good.

x2.

also plexi is alot smoother than wood so it allows for more air flow inside ported boxes.

I Rock 4 Doors 4 More Whores!

SMD SUPER SELLER

my seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-mama-feedback/

more seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-slaps-yo-mama/

I agree that someone experienced with plexi should build it.

Rigidity is very important and is one of the main variables regarding quality of sound from an enclosure. And plex is inherently flexible so it can be difficult to work with.

x2

1998 jeep grand cherokee

future teardown and rebuild:

2-15.4 orion hcca's

sub amp undecided

2 sets of components

1-concept amp (mids/highs)

undecided h.o. alt

2-yellow tops

and that could be the fault that i saw first hand maybe it was a poor design. a very expensive mistake. my vote is to have a very experienced plexi person/shop design and build it for you it could save you money in the long run.

i already suggested someone.

www.gatelyaudio.com if you wanna go see some of his work. expert is an understatement.

I Rock 4 Doors 4 More Whores!

SMD SUPER SELLER

my seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-mama-feedback/

more seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-slaps-yo-mama/

LMFAO @ crazyfrazz09.

"its going to sound like shyt....why comprimise with shyt sound?"

"i have seen and heard first hand that is doesnt sound the same as other materials!"

"that could be the fault that i saw first hand maybe it was a poor design"

If you don't know FOR A FACT that plexi sounds like shit, don't say it. Plexi is gonna flex more than MDF/birch/other common materials, but that doesn't mean it will sound bad. I hate when people come on here and spread false info to other new people. Hell, you could probably build a box out of cardboard and duct tape and if it was rigid enough and well-designed, it still might sound decent. You'd probably have yourself an ugly-ass box though. However, just because you saw it not work ONCE doesn't mean it won't work EVER.

Also, to the OP, I'm really interested in seeing how this box turns out. Do you have a SketchUp/drawings of the plans for it? I wanna see!!!

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

its going to sound like shyt. is it for show? i was going to do the same thing and frost it with leds inside but decided i dont have a show vehicle so why comprimise with shyt sound? i would just do a window into the box and make it atleast 3/4" thick

It is for show (and techno, :D ) we want to do 4 sides plexi and mdf for the bottom and and back with mirrors and some blue LED strips.

I told him two 12's with the 6x9's in a separate chamber would be plenty but he's hell bent on the 4 12's.

I'll be helping him with most of the work and the only experience i have with plexi is making computer cases, and i didn't find that too difficult. So I'm thinking this will be a pretty fun build and i always enjoy learning new things.

So far I've gathered that we need:

- .75" or thicker plexi

- panel bracing (for some style and rigidity!) :good:

- some dough

- less subs :lol:

84 K5 Blazer

3" body, 2" Suspension

35" Maxxis Bighorn

100amp Alt

Marine deep cycle for the amps (freebie)

KnuKonceptz 1/0

8 Hifonics HFi 12D4's in ~19cubes tuned to 35hz

Audiopipe AP-18001D

RF 5x8's in the kicks

Almani 5.25 comp. in back

Kenwood KAC-645

--IN THE FUTURE--

None.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM:name=Decaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Decaf @ Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we seriously need some butt plugs so you guys stop spewing chit talk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lose the 6x9"s, do NOT put them in the same box with the subs. ive seen some one do this box and i think it was still .75" maybe .5" but it was only for 1 woofer. i would do 1" all around for the 4 12"s maybe even thicker, all depends on the power your running. its going to be VERY expencive.

What would happen if you put the 6x9's in the same box? yeah i have some drawings, ill post them whenever i find them again haha

i have 62" of x-axis space for the subs, 9" of z-axis space, and 18" of y-axis space

ALSO, i can have way more room for the z-axis space, just need to cut out a hole in my cab through the bed. then weld a protective box surrounding it

Edited by Awhitewookie

MY BUILD

1998 Ford Explorer 2dr sport

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Juicebox black cherry addition

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

miss my bc5500 and (4) 15's

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

LMFAO @ crazyfrazz09.

"its going to sound like shyt....why comprimise with shyt sound?"

"i have seen and heard first hand that is doesnt sound the same as other materials!"

"that could be the fault that i saw first hand maybe it was a poor design"

If you don't know FOR A FACT that plexi sounds like shit, don't say it. Plexi is gonna flex more than MDF/birch/other common materials, but that doesn't mean it will sound bad. I hate when people come on here and spread false info to other new people. Hell, you could probably build a box out of cardboard and duct tape and if it was rigid enough and well-designed, it still might sound decent. You'd probably have yourself an ugly-ass box though. However, just because you saw it not work ONCE doesn't mean it won't work EVER.

Also, to the OP, I'm really interested in seeing how this box turns out. Do you have a SketchUp/drawings of the plans for it? I wanna see!!!

did you not read the other posts that followed? stop acting like you are a know it all. get past it already. we have established the parameters of what it would take for a plexi box to sound decent and i dont think i said ONCE either!

1998 jeep grand cherokee

future teardown and rebuild:

2-15.4 orion hcca's

sub amp undecided

2 sets of components

1-concept amp (mids/highs)

undecided h.o. alt

2-yellow tops

check out this post Modder's Guide to Acrylic you might have to register on those forums but it is well worth it! This is the blowthrough type box I'm in the process of making right now for the bed of my truck:

truckbox.jpg

The green will be mirron plexi on top of MDF, and the clear see through stuff is 1'' cell cast acrylic. It's all explained on that excellent post over on fiberglass forums. BTW this is where I buy my plexi: Devlie's Plastics Inc

Post pictures! I love acrylic.

EDIT: oh and to get a perfect fit with the acrylic and not have to worry too much about jacking it up, build the box in MDF first (same thickness if you can manage), then flush trim the acrylic to the MDF pieces. Routers are really good at cutting acrylic, jigsaw not so much as it will melt the acrylic from its fast sawing. Good luck!

Edited by mikey634

check out this post Modder's Guide to Acrylic you might have to register on those forums but it is well worth it! This is the blowthrough type box I'm in the process of making right now for the bed of my truck:

truckbox.jpg

The green will be mirron plexi on top of MDF, and the clear see through stuff is 1'' cell cast acrylic. It's all explained on that excellent post over on fiberglass forums. BTW this is where I buy my plexi: Devlie's Plastics Inc

Post pictures! I love acrylic.

SICK! we were just talking about doing a blowthrough like chickens EXT. but thats INSANE

84 K5 Blazer

3" body, 2" Suspension

35" Maxxis Bighorn

100amp Alt

Marine deep cycle for the amps (freebie)

KnuKonceptz 1/0

8 Hifonics HFi 12D4's in ~19cubes tuned to 35hz

Audiopipe AP-18001D

RF 5x8's in the kicks

Almani 5.25 comp. in back

Kenwood KAC-645

--IN THE FUTURE--

None.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM:name=Decaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Decaf @ Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we seriously need some butt plugs so you guys stop spewing chit talk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->