ok..so my muffler crackd.. in like 2 different places.. now my truck turns on but after a few minutes shuts off.. ive been told this is common when the air doesnt make it all the way to the exhaust tip... is that true?? 2nd.. for some reason the mechanic told me it needs welding to be replaced or fixed... went and lookd under my truck ..all i see is clamps holding it tight.. ..lastly .. if only clamps hold it together would it be something that can be replaced by me.. with the right tools?... ooh and its a '93 ford explorer

Edited by manny10473

whenever i replaced the muffler on my 06 ford expedition all i did was cut the factory one off and clamped the new one on. its very simple and a lot cheaper than anywhere you would take your vehicle to get the work done. as for the vehicle turning off im not sure if that has anything to do with a muffler, because i drove around without a muffler for about 2 weeks and had no issues but your vehicle is older so i have no clue. hope this helps some.

-Car: 2006 Ford expedition King Ranch

-Subs: 2 FI BTLs 18 fully loaded

-amps: 2 sundown SAZ 3000D

-Alternator: DC Power 260 amps

-Batterys: 2 optima yellowtops

-A whole shit load of 0 guage knu hyper flex and raptor cable

-Rockford Fosegate 3sixty

I had my exhaust replaced i bought the stuff and had it welded on at a shop, b/c of the warranty so....as far as your truck turning off it maybe that its not creating enough back pressure and thats wut its killing it, but im not 100%.

Just get a bolt on muffler because i don't recommend cutting it and welding if you don't know how to do that. It pretty simple to unbolt and and put a the new muffler if you got tools to do it and how how-to..

never heard of an engine turning off from no backpressure, if that was the case all the ricerockets with fartcans would die

and my old camry got destroyed by a speedbump and cracked the exhaust off at the header, and besides being obnoxiously loud and vibrating the whole car, it ran fine for the longest time.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

no back pressure wont cause ya whip to turn of it may be sumthing else and the cracks in the muffler where are the cracks at? and when it just shuts off do the check engine light blink repeatedly, and last question is is there a check engine light on?

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

I've never heard of that with exhaust...it's odd that it turns off. Is it a few minutes or a few seconds? And does it sputter down or does it turn off like you pulled the key?

I say double check under the hood to make sure no vacuum hoses are broken, and everything's connected to your air intake system before blaming the exhaust. We've had plenty of old ford beaters (including a 93 aerostar) with missing exhaust and they always ran fine. The only time I've seen the sudden death was the air intake and vacuum hoses.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/