Jump to content

tejcurrent Rebuild- * new pics page 11


Recommended Posts

Posted

That is great work right there

Alpine CDA 9886 HU

Alpine ERE-G180 Crossover

4 12' kicker Solobaric L7s

KS 3.5 tweets up front

Kicker KS 6.5s by the back seat

KS 6x9s in the rear

Sealed Box

Hifonics Brutus 2600(for now)

Hifonics Zeus 740

Optima Red Top

2 Optima Yellow Tops

Posted

Still waiting on the spacers to be machined. Taking some time on those, but hopefully I'll have a bracket on my truck tomorrow. I didn't realize the XS Power VCM needed wiring in addition to itself, like splicing in harnesses to the factory wiring. I'll be modifying the modules wiring because honestly I can't find plugs locally, and it seems like the extra female plugs are just dummy plugs anyway. Any thoughts from VCM users?

I was unhappy with the paint on the last dash- it had a texture before I painted that turned ugly, and the humidity caused orange peeling. I bought a new piece because I got pissed and sanded the old one smooth. Then I didn't like the complete lack of texture.

I decided I'm working in a vacant house- why not use the temperature/climate controlled rooms for my benefit. I bought a new dash bezel and repainted. It's not much, but it's tedious work- and it's work.

dash_1-1.jpg

dash_2-1.jpg

dash_4.jpg

dash_5.jpg

dash_6.jpg

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Posted

It's finally done!! I'm ecstatic about this, so please feel free to (anyone) to comment.

It's still not finalized, it's going on the vehicle for testing and if all goes well more will be made and powder coated. Since this is the prototype there was no reason to pay for powder coating yet. I'll be talking to Steve about joining his site in a bit, I'd like to sell some of these and some for other vehicles as well. I'm thinking 350 presale price, again only after I talk to Steve.

I've purchased alternator brackets before that required drilling mounting holes, or a degree in engineering to figure out since the directions were not narrated and it came in a dozen pieces. This is two large plates that only fit one way, and should take less than 1 hour for anyone with a wrench to install.

On to pics:

A front shot, again before powder coating:

Tahoe_Quad_1.jpg

A back shot of the main piece:

Tahoe_Quad_2.jpg

A side view of the edge.

Tahoe_Quad_3.jpg

Tahoe_Quad_4.jpg

Pulleys added - important first step to make things easier for installation. Lock- nuts and spacers with grade 12.9 metric bolts.

Tahoe_Quad_5.jpg

Tahoe_Quad_6.jpg

First alternator in place

Tahoe_Quad_7.jpg

Clearance from pulley to alt is about 1 mm. This is necessary to give the best belt wrap.

Tahoe_Quad_8.jpg

The plug for the alternator on this bracket should now be attached and the bracket bolted to the vehicle. It's dark and raining like crazy right now, so I'll post install pics tomorrow. Then it's just 10 minutes of bolting the extra alts in, and however long it takes to do the wiring.

I'm using a XS Power VCM, which requires extra wiring. I started but my soldering gun tip was messed up, and I bent it the rest of the way in frustration.

I spent almost 5 hours today searching for plugs for my alternators, only to end up crawling through the mud in a scrap yard chopping the harnesses out of wrecked GM trucks lol.

I would have had this bracket on if it wasn't for my inability to find these plugs locally. I spent probably 5 hours searching today. I will have to find a supplier online and order some new ones I guess.

Wiring_1.jpg

Soldering in a small piece of extra wire to one plug

Wiring_2.jpg

XS Power will tell you not to splice their harnesses. I don't want to alter my factory wiring so I did it anyway. I split the two center wires, and added about 1 foot of my own. Soldered in, covered in heat shrink tubing, and zip tied back up.

Wiring_3.jpg

Wiring_4.jpg

I started on the 2nd plug when my soldering iron died.

Wiring_5.jpg

Wiring_6.jpg

More tomorrow, hopefully vids too. Anyone feel free to voice your thoughts.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Posted

Not one post guys? I know this isn't a huge build but I'll take criticism at this point lol. I have pics and vids, I got everything up and running. From my experience one of the easiest installs, with the best results. I had over 1000 amps of Iraggi alts on this tahoe at one point, and this bracket + alts beats it hands down. It's great to stop at a stop sign and see 14+ volts with the a/c and headlights on. Pics and vids:

I soldered the plugs, I've been using some adhesive lined shrink wrap from Fastenal, it works great.

Wiring_8.jpg

Industrial velcro, I used big enough pieces to allow me to move it around some if I change things in the future. I was considering the vcm and a separate volt meter for the back. Anyway.

Wiring_9.jpg

VCM

Wiring_10.jpg

Mounting to the back of the plexi

Wiring_11.jpg

Wiring_12.jpg

Wiring_13.jpg

Running the wire and soldering to the steering column

Wiring_14.jpg

Wiring_15.jpg

Finished product before powering up

Wiring_16.jpg

Powered

Wiring_17.jpg

Wiring_18.jpg

I'm uploading the video of the alts to youtube, so tons more pics and a vid in a minute.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Posted

this vids are going to be =@

24v1fe8.png

wow now this just shows that smd isnt just any forum. We are a brother hood.

here let me put it in retard-onix for u aareehhhh duuuurrrrr ehhh got it now?

Sweet baby jesus the amount of quoting the quote above the quote in a quote is epic

Posted

Before anyone starts busting balls, I have some more wiring to do tomorrow, and a lot of cleaning up.

Wiring_19.jpg

Again this is a prototype and has not been powder coated yet. I'm going to run it for a while and see if there's anything to improve on (so far there isn't).

Sorry I didn't get more pics, it was 90 degrees with 100% humidity and a hot engine. I just wanted to get it done.

Tahoe_Quad_9.jpg

Tahoe_Quad_10.jpg

Tahoe_Quad_12.jpg

Tahoe_Quad_11.jpg

About 1/4 inch between bracket and electrical box, though there's plenty of room above and below the alts to run wire.

Tahoe_Quad_14.jpg

Tahoe_Quad_13.jpg

Tahoe_Quad_15.jpg

This took a lot of cussing and effort, so please at least criticize it if nothing else lol.

My voltage dropped to 14.6 for a second once while at idle, but jumped back up to the 14.8 it's resting at hot. I only listened to a few seconds with the volume cranked up because my coffee literally shot 1-2 feet out of the top of my SEALED mug. Never had that happen unless turned sideways but it did.

Vid just uploaded

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Posted

im really debating that vcm....

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Posted

I'm loving it! Keep it up. Looking great!

Thanks a lot man, I'll be uploading some vids of the system turned up full tilt in the next few days, it's just hard to adjust the amp and not get angry neighbors.

The time and detail that you put into the bracket is outrageous you have some real skill . Now come and do mine.... lol

Thanks, I really wanted to make the best bracket for this truck hands down. I think I did, not putting down any companies at all, just saying this is perfect to me. I'm going to talk to whoever I need to about becoming a friend or 'partner' on this site, seriously pm me down the road if you're interested in a bracket. I want to clear it with the man himself or mods before doing anything but I love doing this and I can do it cheap because it's a hobby not a business to me.

im really debating that vcm....

I haven't adjusted it at all yet, but it gained me over 1 volt from my factory 13.8 setting. I had a MLA module and I like this a bit better- though install is more involved. It's a bit more than plug and play.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8460 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...