JL W7 13

Ben G.

Its an eagle talon. Same thing as a 2gen eclipse. Its 2 door hatchback. Gets real loud on the dash. I live in Wisconsin and this is my first year actually building for compotition. I heard the JL w7's were absolutley amazing, but from what everyone on here is telling me they blow....? Idk...lol Ive always liked my jl's People have re's and fi's and my jl's sound better by far!.... Only thing that sounded better to me was an Adire Brahma...

Pm sent for ya

jrplayer36

Its an eagle talon. Same thing as a 2gen eclipse. Its 2 door hatchback. Gets real loud on the dash. I live in Wisconsin and this is my first year actually building for compotition. I heard the JL w7's were absolutley amazing, but from what everyone on here is telling me they blow....? Idk...lol Ive always liked my jl's People have re's and fi's and my jl's sound better by far!.... Only thing that sounded better to me was an Adire Brahma...

I have a 2g Talon TSi I'm putting a 10w7 in for a small build.... I put a 15 RE SE off a t10001bd in my brother 2g Eclipse GSX....that thing dropped low and sounded much better than any JL setup I've heard.

I personally think my 15" Fi BL tuned at 38hz sounded as good if not better than the 10w7 I have....they just got a whole lot louder.

edit: It's not so much the woofer as it is to build a good enclosure.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

I have a 2g Talon TSi I'm putting a 10w7 in for a small build.... I put a 15 RE SE off a t10001bd in my brother 2g Eclipse GSX....that thing dropped low and sounded much better than any JL setup I've heard.

I personally think my 15" Fi BL tuned at 38hz sounded as good if not better than the 10w7 I have....they just got a whole lot louder.

HMMMMMM? Idk wat kind of re 15? And you only had the 10, the 13 is the one that people say is the shyt...lol...Idk I may end up getting a Jl 18w3d2. Or i may rebuild the 18w6 i found. I may make that into a mean sub.

Like as stated before it all matters in the enclosure that you build..

I mean shit you could have the baddest subwoofer in the world but you if you build a improper box for it then i'll be a cheaper sub like the sony xplod will beat it. Just all depends on how you make the box.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

if it was me i'd go with an IDMaxx or An RE xxx

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Why is the W7 better in your opinion? I have given you my opinion, while the only thing you've given me so far is "Well JL has patents and JL spent a lot of time designing their sub" At least show me a video of JL dominating in something... Whether it be bass race or a SQ competition.

Better than what? You're missing the point I was trying to make earlier. I was only saying why I think they cost so much, I wasn't posting about why I think this is better than that.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=3

Looking into it a little more, there is nothing amazing about the patents. They incorporated a few designs for cooling, a large diameter spider, a large (tall) voice coil for power handling, and the cone/ surround roll they incorporated are purely cosmetic.

I'm going to leave this as a marketing joke, for those that don't know much about quality speakers. The 13w7 is a quality speaker, but like I said... for the money, it's a joke. Put a $355 price tag on it, I'm there.

Only reason I mentioned patents is because they cost time and money which would make the sub cost more. I could really care less how it affects the performance of the sub because that's not what my original post was about.

In the world of car audio, a recone is a recone and they are all relatively cheap, except for any recone from JL. For you to compare the w7 of car audio to the ferrari or buggati of the car industry is outstanding LOL. Here is where you contradicted yourself "Now its not like im saying this is the best subwoofer ever I don't even agree with the price either but there must be some reason why." Last time I checked Buggati and Ferrari are one of the most highly looked upon cars in the industry.

And you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Im not saying the w7 is the ferrari of subwoofers, I was only comparing the two in terms of repairing them. And not all recones are relatively cheap, price out a recone for a composite cone from DD and you will be surprised.

This is called marketing. It's just like dynamat. Dynamat has done such a great job of marketing, that they can increase the price drastically over the rest. They have done such a good job of marketing that people call these relatively new sound deadening companies like Second Skin and they ask about their 'dynamat.' What I'm really trying to get across here is that JL audio as a whole has marketed themselves to success. At this point, if they lowered their prices... people would think less of JL. If there was anything of a 'lesser' brand on the shelf that cost more than a JL product, that 'lesser' brand would be considered better because of the ignorance of a majority of the consumers when it comes to car audio. In addition to that, I have to say that JL spent just as much time as any other company making their 'top of the line' product. In addition to the time they spent on their sub, I'm willing to bet that a majority of that time was focused on the cosmetics, the fact that you can't see the screws holding the sub in. Which is great, it looks clean... But it's not worth the extra money IMO.

I bet if they lowered their prices more people would buy their product, you even said it yourself. Anyways I still think a lot of time went into designing that sub. If you look at most other companies each sub in the same line shares the same motor, but when you change the size you get a different sized basket. The same is true for lower end JL lines. But for each different size of w7 there is a different motor. Now that's not cheap to have 4 different motors and 4 different sized baskets, and to put time into testing, changing, and manufacturing each one.

Alpine INA-W900

Dynaudio system 362

Zapco DC650.6

Stetsom 2k

2 15" DC lvl 4 hybrids

Like as stated before it all matters in the enclosure that you build..

I mean shit you could have the baddest subwoofer in the world but you if you build a improper box for it then i'll be a cheaper sub like the sony xplod will beat it. Just all depends on how you make the box.

I am am experienced on making boxes, just do not understand all the math that go into incorporating a port. Boxes i have built have sounded decent. And i prefer sealed enclosures, seeing that i do run jl subs.

You wanna buy my RE XXX, I think that's the worst sub I ever bought.

how much you want for that thing? and it got decently loud and sounded great in the blazor

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Archived