Hey guys, my name is Alex. I'm from Georgia and recently got into car audio about 3 months ago. I'm 17 and paying for the car, system, basically everything myself so it is nothing like some of the stuff I have seen on here but everyone starts somewhere! It started off with 4 Polk DB651's, this lead to a Diesel Audio NSX-8004 to power them. Frys did the install and did an okay job so I decided to use them again for my sub install, big mistake. I knew nothing about car audio at the time and they got me to buy a Polk 12" with a Crunch 1100 W amp. RMS ratings were totally off, but I wouldn't have know. So what started off as-

img1542xl.jpg

img1544t.jpg

Which then lead to-

img1685pi.jpg

img1686v.jpg

2 Kicker 12" CVR's wired 2Ohms

The blank spot where an amp should be is being replaced by a Hifonics Brutus Hifonics BXi 1210Damp. There was a Brutus amp sitting there, however it got fried. The crap FRYS wiring job caused a short and blew both the amps, must have been something with the ground wire since none of the fuses blew (the employee that did the install was soon after fired for backing a car out of the install bay with the door open, taking off the door on a customers Benz....love knowing he did the work). Well luckily I got new amps for free under warranty and now as seen in the second pics, I read up and rewired the whole care myself with the help of a friend who just happens to be at school for car audio :rolleyes:. Fuses for both amps, all monster wire, cleaner wire job, I like it much better. The new Brutus is on the way ATM and I'll post much better pics when it gets wired up.

Did have some questions though. Would you guys suggests a Big 3? (headlights dim on a big bass hit), should I go with a ported box next, and any other tips.

Thanks!

Edited by AC24

Definitely do the big 3 .... Your car really shouldn't dim off the power you're giving it... If it still does after the Big 3, make sure the grounds at the rear are nice grounds, on bare metal. Hifonics 1200 at 2 ohms is only 500 watts. On the bright side though the amp will like running 2 ohms.

Way to get everything Ironed out! Audio is great if you have more interest in it than just having some 'beat'.....

Good luck man... Make a ported box.

Definitely do the big 3 .... Your car really shouldn't dim off the power you're giving it... If it still does after the Big 3, make sure the grounds at the rear are nice grounds, on bare metal. Hifonics 1200 at 2 ohms is only 500 watts. On the bright side though the amp will like running 2 ohms.

Way to get everything Ironed out! Audio is great if you have more interest in it than just having some 'beat'.....

Good luck man... Make a ported box.

what he said.... :rolleyes:

1993 Mazda Mx-3

Subs: 2 18" DC Audio Lvl 4 D.7

Highs amp: Sundown SAX-100.4

Sub amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D

Electrical:Kinetik 1200 under hood, 2-Kinetik 2400 rear

All 1/0 KnuKonceptz Wire Power/Ground, Big 3, 8Ga Speaker Wire, KnuKonceptz Karma RCA's

Dampening: 120sqft 80Mil Thick Sound Destroyer Mat

Goal: 150 DB 149.9 Street Bass

TeamSundown-3-1.jpg

DCSig.jpg

Okay next step will be the big 3, then the ported box. The Brutus 1200 is rated 900 RMS x1 at 2 ohm, so shouldn't that mean 450 RMSx2?

I'm not familiar with the fuse ratings on the Brutus... But the (Maxsonics) Hifonics amps don't do what they claim. Realistically, you'd be getting closer to 900, if you are lucky at 1 ohm.... But you're not getting 1200 watts out of that amp at 14 volts. It's not that hifonics/ maxsonics products aren't good, they are just over rated 20-30% A bunch of people run Hifonics amps and love them.

Granted this isn't your amp, but it's just for an example.

http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...20;t=011743;p=0

You could put 500-600 Unclipped RMS per CVR in a sealed box and they will take it. Wouldn't recommend sending them that much in a ported box, at least for the average person.

I'm not familiar with the fuse ratings on the Brutus... But the (Maxsonics) Hifonics amps don't do what they claim. Realistically, you'd be getting closer to 900, if you are lucky at 1 ohm.... But you're not getting 1200 watts out of that amp at 14 volts. It's not that hifonics/ maxsonics products aren't good, they are just over rated 20-30% A bunch of people run Hifonics amps and love them.

Granted this isn't your amp, but it's just for an example.

http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...20;t=011743;p=0

You could put 500-600 Unclipped RMS per CVR in a sealed box and they will take it. Wouldn't recommend sending them that much in a ported box, at least for the average person.

hes right dawg listen to this man ... somewhere i heard i can be completely wrong but i heard the hifonics rates there amps at higher voltages than 14.4v

cowboys_logo.gif