Sonic Electronix

Hey guys, i just had a question on my mind about amp clipping. Recently i had an amp thats only supposed to put out 1200W @ 1 ohm, which is about 35V. When i checked the amp gains, it was 54V. Thats a serious toe nail clipping, but my question was, does the amp really output however many watts its giving out at that output voltage, its probably near 3000 watts. That sounds really absurd to me, so thats why i asked the question. Was my amp really drawing that much power, or was it capped off at a certain point when it started to clip? That also rises another thing because i dont think my 4ga power wire could've even handled that much current. But thanks for any help!

Did you measure current?

You dont really know what its doing unless you measure voltage and current.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

I didnt measure the current, i just assumed that when i read the ACV of the speaker outputs, not a wise thing to do but the amp can draw a max of 120A, and none of the fuses are blown so that should mean it wasnt even drawing over 2k. I'm still wondering though what that 54V i read on the DMM means though, i was certainly clipping the shit out of the amp, but i'm not sure how i didnt damage any equipment. My guess is just luck?

im pretty sure the voltage changes when its under load. those voltage numbers are ment to be used when the subs arnt hooked up. i dont remember for sure but i believe i get a different voltage after i hook up the subs.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived