Sonic Electronix

what is the best 10 inch sub?

I have the stock kicker L7 ported box for trucks. And my amp is a 1200 watt bridged at 4 ohms. The L7 is wired to 4 ohms. The amp isn't showing signs of breaking. It handles many other subs good. And I'm looking forward to buying a custom box for chevy colorado. There is no distortion. The sub just has a burning smell at hig volume.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the stock kicker L7 ported box for trucks. And my amp is a 1200 watt bridged at 4 ohms. The L7 is wired to 4 ohms. The amp isn't showing signs of breaking. It handles many other subs good. And I'm looking forward to buying a custom box for chevy colorado. There is no distortion. The sub just has a burning smell at hig volume.

Its a Sony amp isnt it....................

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Its a Sony amp isnt it....................

:rofl: Could always be a Kenwood too, too many possibilities. I do bet it is either a Sony or Kenwood.

Bro, nobody is saying that the amp is bad. You said that the amp had no problems on the other setups and those subs never got stinky either, right? That's because you were running 2-3 subwoofers at a time. If you're pushing those clipped signals to multiply subs, the power is going to be reduced and spread out to each of the subs, causing them not to get stinky. Since you're pushing the whole clipped signal to a single subwoofer, the subwoofer is going to get stinky. So just get yourself a better amp that can push out around 600 RMS at 1 or 2 ohm (Sorry if you already specified if the sub is a 2 or 4 ohm sub and I read over it). Then get yourself a custom box not that prefab truck box, and you'll be good to go.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

I had a pair of L7's on a Lanzar Opti2000D @ 1 ohm.

One of them died :/

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

unfortunately yes its a sony. but i pushed a 15 L7 jus fine. even though it was severely underpowered. no clipping. just bass. im starting to think the sub is just a 1 in a million "bad" sub.

the sub's rubber is being pushed to its limits at high volume. and i get the smellyness i checked everything too.

My 2 12" p2's were 5X louder too.

should i always have a sub thats slightly underpowered or overpowered?

I need sum help.

I got a 10 L7 in my colorado. Wit only 400 rms goin to it and its maxing out. I was thinkin bout goin for a 10w7 but its expensive and I heard the 10L7 is louder.

I want your people's opinion on what a good 10inch sub would be.

Preferably louder than a 10L7. And handles a more power with killer excursion.

I only heard some mainstream brands like kicker and rockford and mtx's. The kicker was loudest.

But I wanna know some of these other company 10s like DD FI and sundown etc. Can you help me out.

My 10L7 is barely louder than 2 P3 shallow's. But its starting to stink wit too much power.

I'm looking for quality and loudness in one package. U guys seemed way more knowledgable on subwoofers.

Please and thanks. Kyle.

400 watts shouldnt be making it stink, your probably clipping the hell out of it and have it in the wrong box.

either way shallow or now 2 subs over 1 should be expected

theres a ton of subwoofers that imo are better then a l7

yea. but i know for a fact its stinking alot. only at high volume. my amp is 1200watt max wich is the max of the 10L7.

think a t1 is harder hitting? i also wanted a HCCA 10...

is the L7 really louder than the W7 wit same power and similar box?

yea. but i know for a fact its stinking alot. only at high volume. my amp is 1200watt max wich is the max of the 10L7.

think a t1 is harder hitting? i also wanted a HCCA 10...

is the L7 really louder than the W7 wit same power and similar box?

You are sending clipped signals from the amp to the sub causing it not to dissipate heat properly. Which is causing the voice coils to get really hot, and burn; thust the stinky smell you get. Do not pay attention to max ratings, pay attention to RMS ratings.

About the L7 being louder than the W7 with same power and smiliar box. In theory yes, because the L7 has a little bit more cone area, but it really all depends on the install with something along those lines so close.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Man I think the only thing that will hold that Sony Power is going to be a couple Funky Pups.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

Archived