Second Skin Audio

What are pro vs con on 3" vs 4" Voice coils?

Hotdog

yeah

I can get - 1 - style from my recone parts list.. lol

3.580 ID

5.050 Former height

2.400 winding width

dual 4ohm

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

The disadvantages to 4" coils is the weight of the coil, how it effects the parameters of the speaker. Typical aluminum coil is about 3 times what a 3" coil is. And when you go to copper, well, a copper 4" coil will weight about 6-10 times what a typical 4" coil weighs

So basically what your saying is hypothetically you can get the same output with 500rms on a Speaker with a 3" coil vs a speaker on 1000rms with a 4" Copper voice coil?

I dont know about 300w to 1000w, i doubt that

Iam sure there is some testing to be done, I know Ssacket is going to be testing some 3" coil vs 4" coil testing

I would assume closer to 700 vs 1000watts

all depends on the motor design, and weight of moving mass

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

my friends atomic apocalyspe 15" sub 3" coil took 10k burps no problem

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1

Now I have seen recone kits for 4" coils that are twice the rating of the original speaker coil from 1000rms to 2000rms... now since the motor is the same how do they achieve 2x power handling using same size 4" coil?

my friends atomic apocalyspe 15" sub 3" coil took 10k burps no problem

Okay? There are plenty of 3" coiled subs taking 20kw+

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Now I have seen recone kits for 4" coils that are twice the rating of the original speaker coil from 1000rms to 2000rms... now since the motor is the same how do they achieve 2x power handling using same size 4" coil?

Higher grade coils/suspension (stiffer/more spiders, flatwound coils, longer winding with, heavier gauge wire), also could be underrated woofers to begin with or the rebuilder put a bogus rating on.

Say you have a woofer rated at 1000w but can realistically take 1500w without loss of durability and then gets rebuilt with parts that can take 2000w then you have a driver that can take potentially take 2000w.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

how are the motors the same?

There is more ferrite, and more steel in a 4" motor, hence more cooling, and a disadvantage towards the 4" coil

weight wise, but 4" coils of course handle more power, been stated in this thread 100 times

sundown.jpg

how are the motors the same?

There is more ferrite, and more steel in a 4" motor, hence more cooling, and a disadvantage towards the 4" coil

weight wise, but 4" coils of course handle more power, been stated in this thread 100 times

I was comparing 4" to 4" there...the recone kit claims 2x the RMS of the original equipment.

So Forevrbumpn you do a lot of speaker builds.. so Lets say I want a speaker with a lot of output on 1000rms what would your recommendations be?

I not talking about pre built subs but if you were to custom make one for the loudest output on 1000rms? what part would you use on a 15" Sub

when someone comes to me for a high efficiency woofer, I go with a shorter coil, lighter moving mass cone, stiffer spider, and Fs usually will end up, and stay in the mid 40s

efficient at a lower Fs, I usually use a very high Bl coil, copper wire, with a lot of layers, and use a softer suspension. I have a special 18" cone/spider combo that I use to make low Fs woofers that are really efficient , and handle pretty good power

When I say low Fs 18s, Iam talking about 13-16hz with a Bl of 68 - 80TM, hence a 18" that can go in 1.7cf sealed, or 2.5-3cf ported low

sundown.jpg

Archived