ok so i bought a set of Eagle Alloy Boss series 16" chrome rims for 100 bucks the other day... the problem is that the chrome is peeling off really badly... i was able to peel off about 75% of the chrome on the backside of the rim... it was peeling off in sheets... anyways there are spots on the front peeling off but alot of it is on pretty good... so im wondering if theres a good DIY way to remove the chrome... is there a chemical i can put on them to help remove the chrome?

EDIT: Here are a couple pics so you can see what im working with... the plan is to strip the chrome then prep,primer, paint, clearcoat... obviously its a project... but i figured it wasnt bad for 100 bucks...

0320001225.jpg

0320001228.jpg

Edited by Rogers

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

ok so i bought a set of Eagle Alloy Boss series 16" chrome rims for 100 bucks the other day... the problem is that the chrome is peeling off really badly... i was able to peel off about 75% of the chrome on the backside of the rim... it was peeling off in sheets... anyways there are spots on the front peeling off but alot of it is on pretty good... so im wondering if theres a good DIY way to remove the chrome... is there a chemical i can put on them to help remove the chrome?

I would think about any acidic cleaner would work especially since its allready opened up

ill upload a couple pics here in about a half hour... ive read that easy off oven cleaner or auto strip "might" work... but id like to know if anyone has a proven easy method... but like loudcav said... i kinda think since the chrome is already opened up.. it would be easier for a chemical to get in and break the bond between it and the wheel...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

first post edited with pics!

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

meh... well im going to take a ride to walmart to get some chemicals... i wont know unless i try!

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

meh... well im going to take a ride to walmart to get some chemicals... i wont know unless i try!

I would think muriatic acid would work. Its readily available at Lowes

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

Sorry to say but there is no magical solution to remove the chrome...Your gonna need to sand it down good.Depending on the piting possible get buy with 220 and finish with 320 then prime ,then wetsand with 600 then paint.

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it,' unless you're a tweaker, and in that case you already fixed it ten times and it's still broken. - Dave Mustaine