Sonic Electronix

Hello.

I am new to this forum and I just have a couple questions. I have been doing little (compared to the stuff I've seen on here and at competitions) installs in my own and just friends cars. I don't have the money for the big ass systems like some of you guys because I'm going to college and thats where my money is going.

But that is besides the point.

I would like to build a box for my new subs that I am going to get. Now, they say to use a sealed box for these but I've also seen ported and I have no idea what I should do. I know that ported tends to be on the louder side of things, but the sealed box will punch harder.

The subs I want for a sealed box require 0.65-1.25 cubic feet for volume for EACH sub.

But for ported, it is 0.9-1.55 cubic feet for EACH sub.

Now my question(s) are:

1. What box should I make? In your honest opinion

2. If I were to do a ported box, what dimensions would I need to use (meaning the size of the box? The size of the port? Single port boxes or one double ported box?)

3.If it's in a trunk, would it even be worth to port the box?

I'd like some input on this before I do anything. :D

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Edited by mattB9097

Hey Matt! I edited your post with a few answers and a few questions of my own.

I know that ported tends to be on the louder side of things, but the sealed box will punch harder. --- Ported is usually louder, but sealed is in no way "punchier"

The subs I want for a sealed box require 0.65-1.25 cubic feet for volume for EACH sub. But for ported, it is 0.9-1.55 cubic feet for EACH sub. --- What subs are you looking at specifically?

Now my question(s) are:

1. What box should I make? In your honest opinion --- Your subs and the amount of space you have will determine this.

2. If I were to do a ported box, what dimensions would I need to use (meaning the size of the box? The size of the port? Single port boxes or one double ported box?) --- This depends also on the size/brand/model of the subs and your car.

3.If it's in a trunk, would it even be worth to port the box? --- Yes, it will still make a difference in sound.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Hey Matt! I edited your post with a few answers and a few questions of my own.

The subs are: Pioneer Premiers TS-W1008D4 here is the website: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16648_Pioneer+Premier+TS-W1008D4.html

*Unless you know of subs that are pretty much the same power for peak and RMS and about the same price*

My trunk is roughly 4-5 from the backseat, to the rear of the car, about 4 feet wide by the back seat for 2 feet towards the back, and then opens up to about 5-6 feet in the last 2 feet. Its a 1997 Pontiac GP GT.

I'm willing to look at any other subs that may be better, but again I dont have a lot of money, and the amp I have now I like a lot and it puts out 750RMS X 1 @ 1ohm stable. I havent had any problems with this amp, so I'm trying to build around it and make it have the best sound possible.

Thanks!

Ok so I was playing around online and I found a calculator for ported boxes and get a basic idea and calculated some dimensions playing with numbers.

BOX DIMENSIONS!!!!

THIS IS FOR SINGLE PORT!!!

Height = 18 inches

Width = 25 inches

Depth 1 (Top) = 13 inches

Depth 2 (Bottom) = 19 inches

Wood Thickness = 3/4 inches

Speaker Displacement = .1 ft^3 (questionable)

Port Freq. = 33 Hertz

Port Diameter = 3.5 inches

Number of Ports = 1

Sq. Port Ratio = 1:0.5

Box angle = 71.6 degrees

Gross Box Volume = 3.154 ft^3

Net Box Volume = ft^3

Port length = 4.992 inches

Port Area = 9.6 inches^2

Port Volume = .028

PORT:

Height = 4.387 inches

Width = 2.193 inches

The only thing I am wondering, but almost 100% positive on is the Speaker Displacement. A 10 inch sub roughly displaces .05ft^3 so where it says questionable, do you just add the displacements together (so two subs like I want would equal .1 ft^3)

Thanks for the help!

Matt

Edited by mattB9097

it always surprises me how almost every person that tries to build their own box doesnt even think about port area. in your case you have 9sqin for the whole box...unless you want it to sound like shit then increase that number. you want 12-16sqin of port area PER CUBIC FOOT. try to stick to the 14 range though.

go find Torres's box calculator on here and youll be fine. if you screw up on that program with the help file thats included then just buy a box from best buy.

go find Torres's box calculator on here and youll be fine. if you screw up on that program with the help file thats included then just buy a box from best buy.

:drinks:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/38791-torres-exposport-box-tuning-calculator-updated-310/#entry551556

look closely at the boxes. it will tell you what your port area range should be in accordance to your net volume. that'll keep you in a ballpark range.

ok, just to make this clear and Im almost positive im doing it right...and this program is pretty nice btw...anyways

when I enter my dimensions, it gives me a port area range...and leaves port area clear...and when i put dimensions in for the port, it gives me a port area.....now do i want that to get into that range?

just clarifying..

and my subs are 10 inch...so would i jsut enter .1 (roughly) into the sub displacement??

thx

matt

ok, just to make this clear and Im almost positive im doing it right...and this program is pretty nice btw...anyways

when I enter my dimensions, it gives me a port area range...and leaves port area clear...and when i put dimensions in for the port, it gives me a port area.....now do i want that to get into that range?

just clarifying..

and my subs are 10 inch...so would i jsut enter .1 (roughly) into the sub displacement??

thx

matt

Yes, try to aim for the middle of the port range. For sub disp, it depends on basket and magnet size. You should be able to find the disp on the manufacturers website.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread