Is my moms motherboard toast?

So I finally hooked up my moms computer after maybe 2 years of sitting around. Everything started up fine but when I plugged in the receiver for her wireless keyboard and mouse the it never lit up. I thought it was done for so I went and bought her a new one (this one is usb) and plugged it in, the comp recognized that something was plugged in and got the drivers and said it was ready to use, I tried to synch the receiver with the mouse but I kept moving the mouse and the cursor never moved. I tried the other 3 usb ports and it never worked.

Any ideas?

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

Two 12" Sony Xplode (temporary)

So I finally hooked up my moms computer after maybe 2 years of sitting around. Everything started up fine but when I plugged in the receiver for her wireless keyboard and mouse the it never lit up. I thought it was done for so I went and bought her a new one (this one is usb) and plugged it in, the comp recognized that something was plugged in and got the drivers and said it was ready to use, I tried to synch the receiver with the mouse but I kept moving the mouse and the cursor never moved. I tried the other 3 usb ports and it never worked.

Any ideas?

The usb mouse takes a minute to download the drivers and install them on their own. give it about a minute before you try to move the cursor. If that don't work, then unplug it and plug it into the SAME usb plug.

I know on my Logitech g15 it does this. Especially whenever I switch it to another usb port. It always installs over again when I switch it around. Same with my mouse. :\

if the board was toast it wouldn't boot up, or it would bluescreen left and right. i suggest download the drivers for the keyboard and mouse from the manufactures website and install then reboot. sometimes windows drivers are garbage.

98d60dea.png

01 GMC Sonoma 4x4

RF T1500.1bd

DC LVL 4 12"

if the board was toast it wouldn't boot up, or it would bluescreen left and right. i suggest download the drivers for the keyboard and mouse from the manufactures website and install then reboot. sometimes windows drivers are garbage.

x2 dont those sort of things usually come with a drivers cd?

Usually windows will use any and all keyboards and mice, if you cant get any of them to work your copy of windows might need a fresh install.

ive seen a bunch that Microsoft uses some left field driver for and some that it just refuses to use any driver for. while the generic PnP drivers work for 90% of the devices some just have to be difficult.

98d60dea.png

01 GMC Sonoma 4x4

RF T1500.1bd

DC LVL 4 12"

The usb mouse takes a minute to download the drivers and install them on their own. give it about a minute before you try to move the cursor. If that don't work, then unplug it and plug it into the SAME usb plug.

I know on my Logitech g15 it does this. Especially whenever I switch it to another usb port. It always installs over again when I switch it around. Same with my mouse. :\

well hers IS Logitech, Ill try that when I go over there today, thanks for the idea.

I cant download the drivers from the website cause the mouse doesnt work

x2 dont those sort of things usually come with a drivers cd?

It did come with a cd but it said the cd is only needed if you want to use the mouse and keyboard functions, not to actually use the mouse and keyboard....but I tried it anyway last nite. I put in the cd and of course, I need the mouse to select anything

Usually windows will use any and all keyboards and mice, if you cant get any of them to work your copy of windows might need a fresh install.

I got a couple copies of XP laying around here so Ill try that tonight then but I do got one thing Im curious about, it already has a "fresh" install. The comp may not have been used in year but literally right before it went on vacation I reinstalled for her, should I still make the attempt?

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

i wouldnt reinstall windows. so you've tried using an old Mini Din mouse and keyboard? (i have seen them go bad) and no luck? then you tried a usb mouse and keyboard? have you tried all the usb slots? do other devices such as flash drives work in the usb ports? what are the specs of the board? not trying to be difficult i just wana know what all the issues are and the things you have done so i can narrow down some things.

Edited by psx2p

98d60dea.png

01 GMC Sonoma 4x4

RF T1500.1bd

DC LVL 4 12"

i wouldnt reinstall windows. so you've tried using an old Mini Din mouse and keyboard? (i have seen them go bad) and no luck? then you tried a usb mouse and keyboard? have you tried all the usb slots? do other devices such as flash drives work in the usb ports? what are the specs of the board? not trying to be difficult i just wana know what all the issues are and the things you have done so i can narrow down some things.

yup, used mini din and no luck, used usb mouse and keyboard and no luck, I did try the other 3 slots and exact same thing (recognized something was there but didnt work). I did not try using my flash drive yet and I dont know the specs of the motherboard, how do I get that? More importantly, can I get the specs without using a mouse or keyboard?

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

yup, used mini din and no luck, used usb mouse and keyboard and no luck, I did try the other 3 slots and exact same thing (recognized something was there but didnt work). I did not try using my flash drive yet and I dont know the specs of the motherboard, how do I get that? More importantly, can I get the specs without using a mouse or keyboard?

try looking on the board for a serial number of manufacture name, your chipset drivers might not be installed right. but your mini dins should still work

98d60dea.png

01 GMC Sonoma 4x4

RF T1500.1bd

DC LVL 4 12"