Sonic Electronix

Hello, I've been reading forums everyday on peoples builds,projects shit like that and I hear alot of stuff being unstable at ohms, like, ok you have a T2000bd class Rf Amp, and in order to get that full 2000 rms power it needs to be at 1 0hm which is 2000w x 1 @ 1 ohm If you want half of 2000 than you do 1500w x 1 @ 2 ohms. My question is how do you set the ohm? And how do you make sure it's stable and won't fry? If someone could explain this to me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

the way you wire your sub is how you set the ohm. depending on what kind of subs you have (single, dual or quad vioce coils) and the impedence of them will determine what kinda of "ohm" you can run. as far as the amp most of them have built in protection against you goin to low in ohm to make sure you dont fry your amp. ohm is impedence (i think that how u spell it).

The New - 2002 Acura Rsx (work in progress)Eclipse AVN7000Eclipse 4 Channel4 Polk Audio Db 6.5 (soon to be changed)T500.1Punch 3 15"- The (old) System - 94 GMC Sonoma Ext. CabH/U - Pioneer Avic D3Eclipse 4 Channel Amp2 MB Quart DUA 216 6.5 components2 Polk Momo 4x10s1 RF Power T5001bd2 RF P315D4's 5 cubes net @ 35hzPowermaster D1200 Battery

its a unit of measure for current flow i believe (someone correct me if im wrong)...and u dont really set an ohm. in order to figure out if an amp is 1 ohm stable just look at its specifications. it will tell you that it so x number of watts@ x ohms. whatever the lowest ohm it shows it usually what its stable at. delivering the correct ohm load to the amp has to do with how u wire the subs. for instance: say u have an amp that is 1 ohm stable. u have one sub with dual 2ohm voice coils. you would wire the coils in parrallel so the amp would see a 1 ohm load. if u wire them i series the amp would see a 4 ohm load.

to see what i mean by series and parallel wiring then check out this link...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...p?showtopic=788

i likes me some audio stuff...

Archived