Second Skin Audio

Quick ? about Tunnels

I don't plan to build one but I'm just curious. But are tunnels, like Tommy Mckinnie's, DJ's, Mr. P's all considered 4th order BP's in a way? And one's like BITLD's tunnel a 6th order? Also why does it seem like these always just murder the lows, never seen a tunnel that just didnt destroy the lows. Sorry but this has been on my mind lately.

because bandpass enclosures are much like a horn, and a horn has high efficiency due to active air movement at the mouth.. more air that is "active" the louder your system.. tunnel bandpass enclosures are even more like horns than normal bandpass, and technically the cab area is acting as a helmholtz resonator..

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

because bandpass enclosures are much like a horn, and a horn has high efficiency due to active air movement at the mouth.. more air that is "active" the louder your system.. tunnel bandpass enclosures are even more like horns than normal bandpass, and technically the cab area is acting as a helmholtz resonator..

That is some really good information.

its just a big sealed box, dont overthink it :peepwall:

yeah basically, but it just has this big air-hammer trick up its sleeve ;)

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

The key for maximum efficiency of that effect would be the size of the tunnel. Based on the subs/power/roll off would determine the appropriate mass of air inside the tunnel and create it.

The problem is testing. The design takes so much effort that nobody (that I know of) takes the time to build it over and over to derive any tunnel equations since they would include some kind of factor that uses the cab space as a variable. I for one would love to see it done though.

Edited by Neo_frog

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

The key for maximum efficiency of that effect would be the size of the tunnel. Based on the subs/power/roll off would determine the appropriate mass of air inside the tunnel and create it.

The problem is testing. The design takes so much effort that nobody (that I know of) takes the time to build it over and over to derive any tunnel equations since they would include some kind of factor that uses the cab space as a variable. I for one would love to see it done though.

I think all we need to do is make the tunnel a bit longer and taper the exit, like a horn throat ;)

Hammerdown... 1%