Sonic Electronix

System Install Issues (Radio Goes Into Protect)

I just finished installing my Mach 5 MJ-18 (4 ohm version) and Alpine MRP-M1000 amp, wired to 4 ohms at 600 watts. I have an Alpine 9813 that has been used for a couple of months. The box is 4.5 cubic feet after all displacement, tuned to 30Hz. The vehicle is a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. I just finished building the box today and when I was setting my amp up, I disconnected the speaker, I played a 50Hz test tone that I got on ROE, turned my EQ settings to 0, subwoofer volume to max, as I read was recommended, but may be mistaken. Can anyone verify that this is correct, or not? After setting my subwoofer volume to max, I turned my volume to 3/4 of max. I inserted the leads of my DMM into the terminals of the amp, and proceeded to reach a final voltage of 48.9Vac. After turning the gain to the max, I noticed the DMM only got to 38.8Vac. I thought this was weird, so I turned the LPF to 70Hz and this somehow brought it up to 48.9Vac. I removed the leads from the DMM and hooked the speaker back up. I turned the volume on my head unit up to 22/35 and then my lights started dimming and all of the sudden, my radio turns off. I turned it back on and the volume was at 0/35. Am I doing something wrong? Someone said that Ford speakers are 2 ohms and may be sending a signal to the radio and causing this to happen. I'm not completely sure what the LPF on the amp should be set at. The bass boost should be 0, correct? Perhaps doing the Big 3 may help? Anyways, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-BluX

Edited by BluX

BluX

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

• Mach 5 MJ-18 (4 Ohm)
  • Alpine MRP-M1000
  • Alpine 9813

Did your Explorer come with a JBL/Bose premium system from the factory? Are you properly bypassing that amp, if so.

Max gain, you shouldn't be needing to crank the gain to get 600w from that amp... Could you maybe take a picture of the settings on your amp? Hell, I'm running "600" watts on my Explorer, voltage needle hardly drops soo..

The stock 2ohms, maybe. My stock plain jane Motorcraft door speakers ran fine on my Alpine, no shutting off or nothing.

Only thing I can think of is you're not properly bypassing the factory amp. Or not using the proper wiring harness.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Did your Explorer come with a JBL/Bose premium system from the factory? Are you properly bypassing that amp, if so.

Max gain, you shouldn't be needing to crank the gain to get 600w from that amp... Could you maybe take a picture of the settings on your amp? Hell, I'm running "600" watts on my Explorer, voltage needle hardly drops soo..

The stock 2ohms, maybe. My stock plain jane Motorcraft door speakers ran fine on my Alpine, no shutting off or nothing.

Only thing I can think of is you're not properly bypassing the factory amp. Or not using the proper wiring harness.

I don't have a premium system, but here is a pic:

SANY1387.jpg

BluX

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

• Mach 5 MJ-18 (4 Ohm)
  • Alpine MRP-M1000
  • Alpine 9813

Try adjusting the gain, this time with the LPF knob in between 75-100. Leave the bass EQ at 0dB.

Stock H/U and mids/highs

NVX LOC

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Try adjusting the gain, this time with the LPF knob in between 75-100. Leave the bass EQ at 0dB.

Will do. I'll post the results tomorrow.

BluX

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

• Mach 5 MJ-18 (4 Ohm)
  • Alpine MRP-M1000
  • Alpine 9813

Also, what are your amp grounds like? Any loose wires in the deck harness?

Fucking weird issue, lol.

Edited by EricM9104

Stock H/U and mids/highs

NVX LOC

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Also, what are your amp grounds like? Any loose wires in the deck harness?

Fucking weird issue, lol.

No, everything is very cleanly installed. I took a razor blade and scraped the paint off where I bolted the ground wire to. I spent a lot of time to make this install perfect. Here is a pic of how it is wired up at the amp:

SANY1389.jpg

I might just have to pull out the deck tomorrow and check for any problems. I did notice one thing though, yesterday, the radio didn't turn on with the vehicle, and it always does. I didn't have that problem today, though.

It's just annoying when you run into these little problems that make no sense lol.

BluX

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

• Mach 5 MJ-18 (4 Ohm)
  • Alpine MRP-M1000
  • Alpine 9813

Hmm I've never heard of setting the subwoofer volume to max. That one is new to me. Not saying your wrong, but have never heard that.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. Only thing I have is when your radio shut off and you turned it back on was the clock and all reset? If so, check your wires on the deck. May be a loose wire?

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

At 11.5 volts my H/U will shut off so if your dropping to around that voltage your H/U might do the same thing. Keep an eye on your voltage and see whats going on and if it is dropping that much your in need of more batteries and or an alt.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

At 11.5 volts my H/U will shut off so if your dropping to around that voltage your H/U might do the same thing. Keep an eye on your voltage and see whats going on and if it is dropping that much your in need of more batteries and or an alt.

Damn.. I hope that's not the issue. I tried to stay with low wattage to avoid that from happening. Boo.

BluX

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

• Mach 5 MJ-18 (4 Ohm)
  • Alpine MRP-M1000
  • Alpine 9813