Sonic Electronix

Installing sub/amp in 2004 Tahoe

Hey guys,

I've been a long time lurker (well, since Chicken's hoopty was started) but now I have a new vehicle that I need to do an install on and can't entirely figure it out. I just picked up a 2004 Tahoe LT with the Bose 9(?) speaker setup. I want to move my sub and amp from my '07 Dodge Ram but need to make sure I'm not missing anything. Every time I've done an install, I've done it with an aftermarket HU. I know it's a baby install compared to what goes on here, but I couldn't think of a better group of people to ask. Now, I don't have the funds to drop on a new HU right now and I don't want to put my outdated HU from the truck into this, so for now I'm sticking with the stock HU. The sub is a JL 10W3 and the amp is also JL Audio, but can't remember the model off-hand.

First, I know I need a LOC at the factory sub. Does anyone happen to know where it's located on the '04 Tahoe? I've ready it can be under the center console or in the rear QP. When looking at the QP, I see a pre-fab grill where a sub may be, but I can't tell if it's there or not (it doesn't really sound like anything is coming from it).

Second, for the remote lead, would I have to tap in to the HU or does anyone know of a better place to tap?

I think those were the only items I wasn't too sure of, but if I think of, or come across, anything else, I'll post back. Thanks all!

rear sub is normally in the rear qp; however; on a truck with bose; i think they *may* have put it under the front center console....but i may be way off in left field here.

rear qp is where i'd check first. its that one bolt that screws on ( looks like a hook in the panel) and otherwise it just snaps off.

ninja edit:: reading pwns me.

you already knew about center console.

i'm thinking its there; or at least the bose amp is in that center console

Clicky for build log....

2002 Tahoe

DC Power Inc 3 alt bracket with 2x230a. alts 1 stock

Eclipse CD5030

2 JL HD 600/4

4 Rockford Fosgate 2500bdcp's

4 DC Audio 18" XL's

4 Pr MB Quart Premium Components

200FT Stinger HPM 1/0

Rockford 360.2

No where near enough sound deadening

one more bit of help:: http://www.crutchfield.com/support/faq.html for info on wiring. under "search" enter year make and model. i just did it; and it said 100% that sub in in center up front; with the bose amp.

also; i'd prolly grab a fuse in the fuse box like windshield wipers or maybe a/c (dont remember which one i used at first)

Clicky for build log....

2002 Tahoe

DC Power Inc 3 alt bracket with 2x230a. alts 1 stock

Eclipse CD5030

2 JL HD 600/4

4 Rockford Fosgate 2500bdcp's

4 DC Audio 18" XL's

4 Pr MB Quart Premium Components

200FT Stinger HPM 1/0

Rockford 360.2

No where near enough sound deadening

The factory sub is in the center console along with the factory amp.

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Thanks all. I've read about grabbing the wiper fuse, so I think I might go with that one. With the QP at least appearing (haven't opened it up yet) to have a location for the sub, should I run there (will probably have to build an enclosure, I'm sure) or will there be any room where the stock stuff is? If I remember, the Bose sub is a 6.5, so I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any room at the stock location. I guess all of this I will find out when I dig in to it, but figured I would ask first and see if I could save myself the trouble. I'm just trying to minimize my cost/effort of having to build a custom under-seat enclosure.

if you remove the plastic cupholders from the center console, you will see some wiring running along the bottom edge. I cant remember the exact colors. There should be the standard tan/gray brown/yellow light green/dark green light blue dark blue. Near that should be 2 sets of twisted pair wires. I think maybe blue and green? Those usually run to a factory sub in the front side of the console. You cant see the woofer. The last one I removed had a dvc 6 1/2 in some sort of bandpass. All you can see is a little port hole. Kind of cool, really. I always use the 2nd accessory fuse in the panel. (just in case it is ever shorted, you won't have any wiper troubles.)

God damn its hot today. My balls are stuck to my leg.

Ok, I went out and started pulling panels to see what I could find. Left side has the jack, fuel tank entrance cover, and the storage box. The right side has what looks like a 12V outlet and maybe an air pump(?). Neither side will fit the sub (JL Audio 10w3v3-4). The sub itself will fit under the middle seats but the sub bottom would have to literally sit on the MDF of the enclosure and would be be pressing up hard into the seat (probably not a good thing). The wife doesn't want me to be cutting anything up so I think I may be stuck with only a couple of options; none of them I really want to take, but oh well.

- Building a freestanding box to go behind the seats... which means I will have to be taking the box in and out of the truck depending on if the family is with me or not

- Buying a low profile sub for an under-seat enclosure (anyone want to trade subs?! ;) )

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I suppose the Thunderform would fit, but I'm trying to keep the budget low, using what I already have. However, the 6 1/2 option sounds like it might actually be the perfect solution. The Tahoe is only a temporary situation anyway, until I can afford a replacement vehicle for my Ram (Tahoe is the wife's ride that I've taken over since wrecking out my truck). I think I could live with less bump for a few months. ;)

Well JL makes hide away boxs for that year of tahoe and the only other thing you could do is make a spacer and lift the seats a bit and it would fit under the seat thats what i did when i wanted to hide the sub in my f350 and 02 tahoe all i did is put some roled steal under the seat and got longer bolts i lifted my seats an inch and a half and it still looked stock

Ok, I went out and started pulling panels to see what I could find. Left side has the jack, fuel tank entrance cover, and the storage box. The right side has what looks like a 12V outlet and maybe an air pump(?). Neither side will fit the sub (JL Audio 10w3v3-4). The sub itself will fit under the middle seats but the sub bottom would have to literally sit on the MDF of the enclosure and would be be pressing up hard into the seat (probably not a good thing). The wife doesn't want me to be cutting anything up so I think I may be stuck with only a couple of options; none of them I really want to take, but oh well.

- Building a freestanding box to go behind the seats... which means I will have to be taking the box in and out of the truck depending on if the family is with me or not

- Buying a low profile sub for an under-seat enclosure (anyone want to trade subs?! ;) )

Anyone have any other suggestions?

99 Tahoe

Has New motor and trany has 2 12w6 with 1600watt planet audio amp im looking for the next best thing i want to have a different box so my subs will hit harder along with another amp if anyone has any ideas please let me know im open for new ones

Archived