Sundown Audio

Help understanding amplifier talk

victor8881

Trying to figure out the definition of clipping as it applies to car amplifiers? I know that if you over power your amp, this will cause it to clip, but is there any other ways you can make an amplifier clip? Also clean signal, what does this mean? The reason I ask the question because I'm running a AQ HDC3 15 and wanted to upgrade my amp from a 1200.1 to a 2200.1 amp. Spoke to Sale at Audioque, and they wrote be back saying that there 2200.1 amp would work fine with my speaker as long as I'm not clipping the amp and keeping the signal clean. Just trying to figure out what they mint by that.

HU: Kenwood KDC-MP745U.

Sub: AQ HDC 15

Amp: Hifonics BXi 1610D for sub, ZXi 6410 for mids highs

Speakers: 6.5 premium MB Quarts components,6.5 MB Quart premium coaxial back doors

Wiring: KLMX Kable 1/0g for Big 3.Double up 4g from battery to trunk...for now.

Big 3: YUP!

Battery: Shuriken SK-BT35 to the trunk.

Randoms: Flush mounted Stinger blue digital voltmeter. Flush mounted Memphis 7band EQ- 16-EQ50. phoenix gold 2 channel line driver.

Clipping is where the sine wave becomes squared off to put it simply. If you find someone with an o-scope, they can set the gains to the absolute max without clipping. Clean power just means a good smooth sine wave without any squared off peaks ( AKA no clipping)

Got it..

HU: Kenwood KDC-MP745U.

Sub: AQ HDC 15

Amp: Hifonics BXi 1610D for sub, ZXi 6410 for mids highs

Speakers: 6.5 premium MB Quarts components,6.5 MB Quart premium coaxial back doors

Wiring: KLMX Kable 1/0g for Big 3.Double up 4g from battery to trunk...for now.

Big 3: YUP!

Battery: Shuriken SK-BT35 to the trunk.

Randoms: Flush mounted Stinger blue digital voltmeter. Flush mounted Memphis 7band EQ- 16-EQ50. phoenix gold 2 channel line driver.

most head units will send a clipped signal if you turn them up too loud, so just o-scope your HU and don't turn it up past the clipping point.

Archived