Second Skin Audio

Aero Ports

well, what makes an aeroport an aeroport is the flared ends on them. the flare cause an aero to be more efficient with less turblance than a regular round or slot/square port. i have see people make their own jigs and create flares for large pvc, but that is kinda complicated. since aeros are more efficient then you can get away with less port area.....but what size/type of subs do u have? how big is the enclosure? for spl or daily driving?

i likes me some audio stuff...

u could do four 6" aeros per sub, but i just dont see that happening. first of all, with the flanges on those 6"aeros have a 9.5" diameter...that takes up a lot of space on a box, along with volume inside. plus 6" aeros are like $50 a piece...

i would just do a big slot port...if u really wanna stick with aeros then its gonna be tricky.

You can get the 6" aeros from www.thrilleraudio.com for $39 each. For a pair of BTL 18s you should only need four 6" aeros for the pair, but I'm not exactly sure. Someone at Fi could give you a much better answer there. I recommend asking them and please let us know their response. I'm curious to this also.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

well evertyhing they said was fine, but that info does not help you find the surface area of the port. to find the surface area you use 2 x PI x r x length that will give you the surface area inside the aero port

lol thats what i was tripping on... dont you only calculate the inside surface area on areos anyway?

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

thats what im looking for area of port right now i have a vent port and i was thinking of doing a fiberglass box with aeros and im tryin to figure this out everybody is saying something different

1998 gmc sierra

h/u:eclipse cd3200

sub:dd9518g d1.5

amp:jl e300/4

sub amp:dd m2a

front stage:id ctx65cs

dc power 270 alt

lots of kicker 1/0

ya i need to figure it out too... someone posted a good link in the other areo port thread i think

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

well evertyhing they said was fine, but that info does not help you find the surface area of the port. to find the surface area you use 2 x PI x r x length that will give you the surface area inside the aero port

the surface area really doesnt matter when figuring tuning or displacement. to find your tuning, you need the area of the port (pi*r^2) and for displacement u need volume (pi*r^2*h). the surface area is the actual physical surface of a port which kinda sounds like displacement, but its not. what u need to find displacement is the actual air space that the port takes up inside the box, which would be whatever amount of air is inside the port tube, meaning the volume.

you should probably take into account the thickness of the aero tubing to be precise, but the arent very thick, so that is probably trivial.

thats my take on things.