Sonic Electronix

Hey i got a few questions. They are kinda random but i hope some of you guys can help me out. I'm wondering if having too large of an alternator will hurt anything within my vehicle? For an example: say i Had a 300A alt. and only really needed a 240A? Is this bad? I would like to have a larger alt. so i don't need as many extra batts. Also: How do you figure out what actually wattage your amplifier is actually producing? Idk if they call this bench testing or what? And finally: What supplies would i need to convert my charging system to 14v or 16v system? Would i need an h.o. Alt, 14v or 16v batts, larger wire, and is there anything else i would need?

I think that a thing called an MLA module is needed too but dont qoute me on that...as far as too big of an alt it wont hurt because the system will just pull what it needs...Testing of the amp is called claming it and you need to get a true rms meter a popular brand is fluke...

hope that helps but that is all i know or at least think i know :P:p:p:p:p

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

check in the amp threads, there is a sticky that tells you how to read actual amp wattage.

Edited by kevosinn

*** SuperSeller Status Verified *** ( http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers/ )

"kevosinn's" astro van
8 custom Sundown Zv4 18's
4 Sundown scv 6000's
CNF Distribution CNC parts
Skyhigh wire

some batteries

SMD Meters and tools used on the install
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172877-kevosinns-vanwest-coast-skyhigh-car-audio-vehicle/

16,000 watt walled silverado build.
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161965-walled-silverado-4-hdc4-15s-4-crescendo-3500s-and-much-more/

8,000 watt 1999 Subaru legacy outback. Build log here: http://www.stevemead...ru/page__st__60

TEAM CNF Distribution

I think that a thing called an MLA module is needed too but dont qoute me on that...as far as too big of an alt it wont hurt because the system will just pull what it needs...Testing of the amp is called claming it and you need to get a true rms meter a popular brand is fluke...

hope that helps but that is all i know or at least think i know :P:p:p:p:p

Ok, thanks for helping me a bit. Is that module something expensive? And do you know what it does exactly? Where do i find one of these meters? and how much do they run?

The module is like $60 or something like that and the meter is like $125 maybe?? Module up the voltage out of the alt of something

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

The module is like $60 or something like that and the meter is like $125 maybe?? Module up the voltage out of the alt of something

OK, I see. Have you ever clamped your own amps b4? I have done a little looking and i seen somewhere that you need 2 clamp meters to test your amps? Do you know if that is true or false?

Hey i got a few questions. They are kinda random but i hope some of you guys can help me out.

I'm wondering if having too large of an alternator will hurt anything within my vehicle? For an example: say i Had a 300A alt. and only really needed a 240A? Is this bad? I would like to have a larger alt. so i don't need as many extra batts.

Also: How do you figure out what actually wattage your amplifier is actually producing? Idk if they call this bench testing or what? And finally:

What supplies would i need to convert my charging system to 14v or 16v system? Would i need an h.o. Alt, 14v or 16v batts, larger wire, and is there anything else i would need?

ok 1 having an alt larger than what you need is not bad. All cars actually come like that ;) its like saying that too much money in the bank is bad for your accoutn.

2 you will need to clamp your amps.

3your charging system is already 14 volts. It just uses 12 volt batteries. thats why you should have a running voltage of 14.4 and some amps are rated at that level.

to run at 16 volts you need to either run seperate charging systems or run step down modules. You're factory electronics will not last long with 16 volts

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I personally havnet i just read about it. I would talk to jacob from sundown or just look at the sticky in the amp section for that answer.

ok 1 having an alt larger than what you need is not bad. All cars actually come like that ;) its like saying that too much money in the bank is bad for your accoutn.

2 you will need to clamp your amps.

3your charging system is already 14 volts. It just uses 12 volt batteries. thats why you should have a running voltage of 14.4 and some amps are rated at that level.

to run at 16 volts you need to either run seperate charging systems or run step down modules. You're factory electronics will not last long with 16 volts

Wow, ok you taught me a bunch there. Ok so what is a step down module and how much are they usually? What do they do? Also why is it bad for my electrical system to be on 16v's? What needs to be changed and or modiffied to suit a 16v system? Will changing from 14v to 16v really make a BIG NNOTICABLE difference? JW? What did you mean by seperate charge system? Like have stock alt for car and h.o. alt. for the system? or what? lol sorry dude just trying to soak up all the knowledge. Not many guys like helping youngsters like me. They just critisize and call us names...Thanks man

Too large of an alternator is not a problem in and of itself. Know what rpm the alternator makes its rated power at and what rpm it will be spinning at when your vehicle is idling. This is how scammer ebay alternator companies sell cheap 240a alternators and the average user ends up getting 40 amps out of it at idle.

For amplifier output testing, you can use the following URL, it describes with pictures how to do everything pretty well. http://www.ddaudio.com/caraudio/enclosureInfo/calculateAmpPowerAndImpedance.htm.

To regulate your output voltage from the alternator, you'll need an adjustable regulator. Ask your preferred alternator company salesman about that option and he'll go over your options. He'll also be able to help you with what batteries you'll need to match the charging system.