i am interested in purchasing an alarm preferably the viper 5900 and i was wondering how hard it was to install it yourself? i would prefer to do it myself, but I have never worked with electrical on my car before. i drive a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee auto and want to see if it is even worth trying or whether I should have it installed. thanks

When we carried viper at the old shop I worked at we were not allowed to sell just the alarm, we had to sell it as a install package. ( according to the owner of the shop he would loose his dealer contract with viper) they are real easy to install if you have knowledge of your vehicles wiring, and the accesories are plug n ply mostly.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Here's the deal on alarms...Anyone can do them...If you've never done one it will take you FOREVER testing wires though. At the shop, even though we do at least one alarm a day, it still a couple hours. And to run the wires in the proper locations, making it look completely stock is also a challenge. But do go for it, it's not too bad.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

When we carried viper at the old shop I worked at we were not allowed to sell just the alarm, we had to sell it as a install package. ( according to the owner of the shop he would loose his dealer contract with viper) they are real easy to install if you have knowledge of your vehicles wiring, and the accesories are plug n ply mostly.

That's weird our shop USED to carry Viper too...Then they switched to DEI/Scosche...The owner told me he really liked the viper alarms, the only thing about them was the remotes were a little iffy.

Subwoofer Wall

yeah I understand about the remotes....Just what the boss said at the shop....I D K....

Scientia est Vox

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

i am interested in purchasing an alarm preferably the viper 5900 and i was wondering how hard it was to install it yourself? i would prefer to do it myself, but I have never worked with electrical on my car before. i drive a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee auto and want to see if it is even worth trying or whether I should have it installed. thanks

get a tech sheet if you understand all the terms and know how to find out if the wire you are grabbing is the right one then you should be able to do it.

FYI I hated to do chrysler vehicles when I had to do alarms. Always resistors or diodes or something else.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

btw you can find wiring diagrams online for your car, but please please test them ALL before connecting wires, save yourself a headache. Even though the guys at the shop know every car really well, they still take the time to test the wires.

Subwoofer Wall

btw you can find wiring diagrams online for your car, but please please test them ALL before connecting wires, save yourself a headache. Even though the guys at the shop know every car really well, they still take the time to test the wires.

YES! and please if you see a yellow clip for some wires dont touch them they are airbag wires and should not be messed with!!!

Scientia est Vox

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

That's weird our shop USED to carry Viper too...Then they switched to DEI/Scosche...The owner told me he really liked the viper alarms, the only thing about them was the remotes were a little iffy.

viper is made by dei, so they still carry them, no?

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagrams/di...=25&link=DW

theres your wiring schematics.

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

cool, thanks guys. i have a feeling im going to have to have someone install it for me. its not that i dont think i can do it (though it would take me forever) i just dont know if i have the time for something of that magnitude right now lol, it would probably take me a couple of days. i think ima just stick to boxes and soon some fiberglass (gotta fix stuff in the jeep so why not make it haha) for now since school is comin up. but thanks for the help maybe one of these days ill do a dry run if i have time and try and locate all of the wires.

btw what would a good alarm installed cost? remote start or not, my budget isnt too deep like in the $300 range tops