Sonic Electronix

Lol,

I really didn't expect there to be this many idiots on SMD forums!?

This isn't 4chan, if you want to flame random people and make yourself feel better, go there please...

But honestly guys, if you are just going to post to make fun of something for no reason, then don't post!

:D

I do know about audio, im not a noob.

dumb /b/tard. how are we idiots? you're the one that wants to have an 18" speaker play ABOVE the range of human hearing which a 1" driver is supposed to recreate.

Out of audible range can still hurt. you cant here below 20 hz, but you can still feel it right.

competing with it is pointless,

If you did have a tone at that freq and it managed to get really loud it would hurt your ears more that lower notes that subs are intended to do, if anything could actually play that tone

But id say its kinda impossible.

21000hz is back at forth 21000 times per second, 20 mm each way, that many times a second would most likely destroy the driver.

also, If i did it right, if the cone is moving 40 mm 21000 times per second it would have to move 840 meters per second, and stop, then accelerate, then stop, then accelerate, again and again.

And 840 meters per second is already faster than the speed of sound

dumb /b/tard. how are we idiots? you're the one that wants to have an 18" speaker play ABOVE the range of human hearing which a 1" driver is supposed to recreate.

Sorry, I didn't mean EVERYONE...

Mainly chud,

But im saying it in theory.

It probably isn't possible to do what I am suggesting with the technology available, but just in theory.

Picture it like this:

Steve meade is driving along with his 4 18's.

He decides to play a tone of 21,000Hz at full volume.

From some miracle, it plays with the same excursion as when he plays a 20Hz tone.

I am not saying that it will happen, im saying if it did happen.

Out of audible range can still hurt. you cant here below 20 hz, but you can still feel it right.

competing with it is pointless,

If you did have a tone at that freq and it managed to get really loud it would hurt your ears more that lower notes that subs are intended to do, if anything could actually play that tone

But id say its kinda impossible.

21000hz is back at forth 21000 times per second, 20 mm each way, that many times a second would most likely destroy the driver.

Yea,

Thats what I mean. :D

I don't mean to come off as a noob, I guess it was kind of a retarded question.

Thinking about that, the driver would probably break the sound barrier...

And this isn't for a competition, im just wondering XD

Sorry, I didn't mean EVERYONE...

Mainly chud,

But im saying it in theory.

It probably isn't possible to do what I am suggesting with the technology available, but just in theory.

Picture it like this:

Steve meade is driving along with his 4 18's.

He decides to play a tone of 21,000Hz at full volume.

From some miracle, it plays with the same excursion as when he plays a 20Hz tone.

I am not saying that it will happen, im saying if it did happen.

you mean if it never happens? this is physically impossible. the drivers will burn up before it even reaches 1/8th of the excursion that it does if he plays a 20hz note.

ill give a serious answer... well its a question. do you think an 18" speaker can move 20mm and back (40mm) 21,000 times a second? ok you think so if you can put enough power to it. what speaker could handle that much power? and if the coil could handle the power could the cone or any glue joins handle the Gforces?

and an even better question, why is it that so oftain a mod comes in and locks a thread just because they dont like it, even though other people are enjoying the topic but this shit has continued to thrive?

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Hello everyone,

I believe that this is my first post on this forum, I have talked with Steve Meade about buying an AA/SMD 18" on YouTube,

And I made an account on here, but I haven't posted until now.

Anyway, I am wondering what would happen:

Imagine if you could somehow get an 18" Subwoofer to do, say, 20mm of excursion, at 21,000Hz+, anything out of audible range.

Since it is out of audible range, would it hurt hearing? What would happen?

I keep thinking about it, and I THINK that it would simply be like bass, but instead of shaking it would just rip stuff apart.

Anybody got any ideas? POST THEM! I would love to hear your ideas. :)

Thanks,

~Vidmaster

LOL,

EDIT:

Ok, fine. AN 18" TWEETER.

I am just saying, if AN OBJECT, SOMETHING moved at 21,000Hz with 20mm of excursion, what would happen?

OK, I am going to try and help you understand how speakers work and how sound works a bit better.

First off, excursion, 20mm or otherwise, does not mean output. It can help with output at certain frequencies, but just saying 20mm of excursion does not mean output.

second, it is near impossible for a subwoofer to produce any measurable output in the higher frequency ranges, you mentioned 15khz in another post, a subwoofer is not designed to produce those frequency and the nature of its operation and makeup will filter those frequencies out automatically. Thats what a coil does.

Higher frequencies are handled by tweeters that are made up of very intricate parts that are designed to vibrate at incredible rates. A ribbon tweeter for example will have a ribbon of conductive metal that actually vibrates like a guitar string. A dome tweeter will have a disc or small coil that does not move up and down like a woofer, but sits and vibrates the dome attached to it.

So you must have the proper equipment to produce those frequencies.

Now if you want a subwoofer to produce incredible low frequencies like below 20hz (called infrasonic sound) They are capable of this and are used to do this all the time.

Alot of SQ people and Home Theater and movie theater systems play as low as 5hz. You cannot hear below 20hz, but anything below this can create vibration and can be felt.

Your ears are less sensitive at low frequencies than higher frequencies. Our ears are most sensitive at the range of human speech. (makes sense right)

So anything below 20hz would most likely never damage your ears with sound alone. The intensity would have to be greater than 194 dB to start to create an overpressure shockwave for the pressure to be great enough to effect your ears, kinda like diving too deep in the ocean.

Now take it back to over 20k hz.

If you used a tweeter to produce these supersonic sounds, which is done very often. ALso dog whistles. It would be a very rapid vibration, no excursion here.

But if you had a 21,000 hz tone intense enough, lets say 160dB. This would not be heard and would most likely not damage your ears. But, each part of our body has a different resonance. So this high pitched sound could effect bone and certain organs causing internal pain.

The military is already making non lethal weapons such as this.

Put it this way. Woofers move all the time at 35mm or more under 20hz, and nothing is damaged. Its gotta have output and at your peak resonant frequency, the woofer usually moves the least amount. Now if you can get up to 170 dB at 7hz, you can turn a rectangular bread truck into a circular one.

BTW, that happened in 1996

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB