DC Sound Lab

A neodymium magnet (also known as NdFeB, NIB, or Neo magnet), a type of rare-earth magnet, is a permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron, and boron to form the Nd2Fe14B tetragonal crystalline structure. This material is currently the strongest type of permanent magnet 8)

gotta love google lol

EDIT: i didnt see Forevrbumpn's post shoulda looked a little more lol.

your the man btw. i wish i had half the knowledge you do.

I studied Neo types for a few years, trying to find ways to make neo motors without having to buy pre made in China with 200 pcs at a time, so I started talking to US neo manufacturers, and learned a lot by talking to these people.

Ferrite magnets, well, i know my way around a ferrite magnet charger backwards forwards, and upside down. Next step would be making one, but kind of scary discharging 500 capacitors at 1 time, do it wrong and you get sparks flying, or magnets flying through the ceiling

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Wow some interesting neo reading here.... Thx for real answers to the "what's neo" question....

Op== that's one heck of a collection there...

Clicky for build log....

2002 Tahoe

DC Power Inc 3 alt bracket with 2x230a. alts 1 stock

Eclipse CD5030

2 JL HD 600/4

4 Rockford Fosgate 2500bdcp's

4 DC Audio 18" XL's

4 Pr MB Quart Premium Components

200FT Stinger HPM 1/0

Rockford 360.2

No where near enough sound deadening

Neo isn't 500 times stronger than ferrite, about 20 - 30times stronger

But in HIGH power SPL Neo still doesn't have a long term use yet, since when the stronger the neo, the faster it loses power with heat, so even with the lower grade neo like n42, the magnetism still starts to dissipate with about 150 - 160degs, while ferrite can hold its magnetism up to 200 - 240deg

Why is that important?

Well, voice coils generate a lot of heat, a coil can get 300+ deg, and it radiates on to the magnet, and top plate, and pole piece

So yeah Neo is good for pro audio, and light subwoofer applications, but when they get hot, they lose power and need to be re-charged

Should we get in to the charging of Neo? Its not easy

A standard ferrite magnet, say 8" OD 1" thick- 2 slugs attached to a built up motor, will need about 1000 volts to charge with about 600 - 800 amps of current behind that 1000v

Thats about 800,000watts per magnet charge

Neo, you need about 3 - 4 - 5 times the charging force than ferrite

meaning to charge 1 neo magnet about 3" OD 1" thick, you need about 3,200,000watts for every charge, and thats assuming the motor structure is small enough to be charged inside the magnet charger

Anyone owning a Shocker Sig motor, dont come to me saying, "But my neo motor still works fine" Sure it works fine, but sure half the magnetism, if not more has been dissipated from that motor

So, that is my thought on neo... bottom line needs to be taken care of, and watched closely

These Aura motors though, are about the best design neo motors on the market, the neo stays pretty cool this way, and is small enough to be charged at a few locations

Ken my Shocker Neo Sig motors still works fine :) HAHAHAHA!!

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzctMjAxMDA1MjMtMTgyM.jpg

Team S.S.C.

DB Drag Street A 2011 National Champ

DC Audio Dealer

Nor Cal AA Dealer

Incriminator Audio Dealer

CA Sundown Audio Dealer

[email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg