I had this boat come over last week for a deck and speaker replacements. The owner is familiar with my work and wanted something very loud and clear. He also wanted to keep it a factory looking as possible and didn't want any additional holes cut in it.

Of course, it has already had a system installed, and as you all know, those always are nothing but top notch :nea:

Here's the boat. I think it looks better behind my black truck then his blue one :D

001.jpg

002.jpg

The old speakers have lived their life and are on the outs.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Now, of course they had wired 6 speakers to a 4 ch amp :good: well it actually only was 5 because the decided that was close enough.

008.jpg

I will have to hand it to this amp. it did serious work all wired up funny. It also doubled as a cooking griddle and a cabinet heater ;)

Now lets look at the radio hole. We already know this will be fun ;)

006.jpg

Yup I was right. The more we did the more we find.

007.jpg

015.jpg

018.jpg

016.jpg

I spent some time de-fusing the bomb.

019.jpg

And finally got it cleaned up a bit.

022.jpg

There is an assload of loose factory plugs. I'm sure I will be back in there to trouble shoot other issues as we go ;)

I got the start of the 2 way's done. I'm makin my own as I go. I started out by gluing the tweeter xover to the back of the mid.

014.jpg

Mounted them on up.

013.jpg

012.jpg

I left the tweeter wire loose for now, as I have to wait for more supplies and for the boat to come back.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

while the boat is out, I got a chance to sit down and figure out how I was going to make a Pro audio 2 way setup without cutting out more holes in the boat.

So I jumped online in search of some speaker grilles I could mad to fit my needs.

I found some Infinity grilles that looked like they may work so I took a shot in the dark and ordered them up.

So here we have the selenium 6 with 1" tweet and grille.

002-1.jpg

I went ahead and killed the silver.

003-1.jpg

Here it is as a really tight fit over the speaker.

004-1.jpg

Then I added in the cup.

005-1.jpg

Of course the bottom of the cup hits the dustcap. So it's time to get tricky.

007-1.jpg

Now this is one of my shop speakers so don't pay attention to the roughness of these next few pics. I wasn't sure if this was going to work yet so I wasn't too careful as I went.

So I started by cutting off the dustcap and although I missed a pic of it, I also had to trim down the coil former.

008-1.jpg

I hit the bottom with a little paint to make it more black then the OEM gray it was. Then I reglued it upside down.

009-1.jpg

That worked out like a champ. Time to check how much room a gained.

010-1.jpg

perfect fit. Time to make the tweeter look like it was designed to be in there.

013-1.jpg

Added the retainer ring and a couple shots of ca glue to help center it.

015-1.jpg

Can't forget to heatshrink the wires to help hide them.

018-1.jpg

The last trick was to remove the brand tag and relocate it to the grille.

016-1.jpg

Next part of this install will be a 2 ch and mono amp rack as well as 2 sub boxes for 2 12's I hope to see this boat back next week to finish it on up.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

hope he doesnt play bass i love you or hell have tweeters hanging allover the place :popcorn:

If he gets 1/2" excursion out of them speakers, he will have bigger issues then driving those tweeters out of the cups. ;) Besides, 99% of people aren't cruising around all day listening to bass tracks. These are also set to fade off at 63 hz

looks good man i like working on boats i've done two so far but only took a vid and a couple pics of one but boats are a good time

I have done a few boats. This one is going to be a smaller system. My last ones were back in the days before digital cameras were so handy

If he gets 1/2" excursion out of them speakers, he will have bigger issues then driving those tweeters out of the cups. ;) Besides, 99% of people aren't cruising around all day listening to bass tracks. These are also set to fade off at 63 hz

so what subs are you using and where are you putting them? how will those speakers and tweets do with water?

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

i like thos speakers, really nice idea/work

12 RE audio X series 12's

4 gauge wiring to back batt (soon to be 0 gauge)

0 gauge from batt to amp

kinetik 1800 in back

clarion cx-200 HU

SPL 3000 wired at 2 ohms

8 Re 6.5 full range speakers

Re Xt 800.4 4 channel amplifier

Autopager car alarm

so what subs are you using and where are you putting them? how will those speakers and tweets do with water?

Not sure what amps and subs are going in yet. The customer is going through his bone pile to see what will best fit. I do have a few things around here to use that will do well if his gear won't work.

The speakers are a coated pulp fiber cone with a sealed back vent pole. The tweeters are silk dome. both should fair very well in the boat. The boat is pretty good size so splash over won't be an issue. Plus the owner is very particular, he didn't want to bring it over this week because we have had some rain on and off as to not get it wet. I am confident that the gear will be kept in pristine condition

I finally got the boat back and was able to get it finished up.

I started out by modding out the 6" drivers

001-2.jpg

The Back side of the dustcaps were a nasty gray so I quickly hit them up with some black.

002-2.jpg

Got all of them mounted up and the grills on.

007-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

And of course no install of mine is complete without an Alpine Deck ;)

006-2.jpg

Made a few changes to the wiring. Had to replace one of the battery shut off switches. Plus ditched the cheap fuse holder for one that was a little nicer.

013-2.jpg

we ended up using some amps we had laying around. The 2 ch is a 700x2 and then a 1200x1 I will be building an enclosed amp rack for it when it comes back. The motor was replaced on it a few weeks back and I guess the shop used the back wall as engine stand. needless to say its smashed pretty hard and will need to be replaced. It should be a fun one to fiber glass up. I am waiting for the factory carpet to come in so I can rip it all out and redo it.

012-2.jpg

I did 2 boxes for the 12's one in each cowling down facing and ported. These will also get wrapped in carpet so for now they are covered in resin to keep the water out.

015-2.jpg

016-2.jpg

017-2.jpg

When it comes back, I will also take on this ratsnest in this cabinet

018-2.jpg

Archived