Sonic Electronix

showin how to ">break< in" a DD sub

I have also seen first hand shifts in impedance from the time the woofer is brand new to the time it was fully broken in.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

if u dont get the point :pardon: ....there should be no backplate :yahoo:

Alrighty, there seems to be a lot of flaming going on in here, but I have to ask:

How the hell were we supposed to get the point of the video if you never showed that there was no backplate? Had you showed you were free-airing it rather than just slowly zooming in on the front of the woofer, peeps would have understood you were breaking it in and not just playing music. The fail video just confused people. I blame the OP for everyone's stupidity.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

LOL NICE :yahoo:

(Edit)Can't believe you got rid of the pic. Pussy!!!

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

OK guys there is a real reason for woofer break in but it doesn't really have anything to do with damage to the driver.

It has to do with reaching the optimum point of the drivers sound quality at a much earlier point then it takes for it to break in natuarlly.

The best example I can offer up is the newest incarnation of my house speakers. I'm in a situation were the 10 inch drivers I'm useing will not get to move enough to get broken in, in a 6 month period but I want those speakers to sound their best.

Since it is proven that the sound of some drivers will change over a period of time, I felt it was beneficial to the overall SQ of my speakers to break in/loosen up the suspension in the 10 inch drivers so they get to reach their optimum SQ ability on the very first day I use my new house speakers.

With that example used the only time it would really be beneficial to a car audio person is when you are dealing with a system that will be babied and not pounded on.

Now there have been times that I have ripped the spiders out of brand new subs that who knows? maybe if I would have softened them up some maybe I wouldn't have ripped the spiders out of the drivers but its questionable and highly debateable if doing a break in might have helped prolong the drivers life. Again questionable.

you bring up a very good point, but the way i look at it is, it isnt a question of the probability of a sub becoming damaged, its the severity IF the sub was to become damaged. some people save money and dont have the luxury of just being able to purchase new vehicles. none of my subs need to be broken in as they aretested before shipping out, but i still do just because id rather be safe. it doesnt affect me either way, but if someone decides to play it safe...i just dont see what the issue is.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Alrighty, there seems to be a lot of flaming going on in here, but I have to ask:

How the hell were we supposed to get the point of the video if you never showed that there was no backplate? Had you showed you were free-airing it rather than just slowly zooming in on the front of the woofer, peeps would have understood you were breaking it in and not just playing music. The fail video just confused people. I blame the OP for everyone's stupidity.

sigh...you refer to the flaming supposedly going as you flame the people who posted in the thread? lol, i just find this amusing. and i think you might have misunderstood the point of the video...it was not about breaking in the subwoofer, just being sarcastic about people who do break in their subs.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

We installed a friend´s 3515 2 days ago, we told him to take it easy until it brakes in, he pounded that shit and the day after bye bye sub!! He was complaining saying that, DD sucks!! I mean, i have used DD for a year now without any problems, why people is that dumb sometimes? shit!

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Archived