Ok this Monday or Tuesday(depends on how tired i em after a weekend of 15 hour graveyard shifts) ill be installing my viper 5701 in to my 91 s10 Baja. I'm fairly inexperienced at alarm installs. I did assist an installer friend(he wont be here for this, lives in DC i'm in MT) on doing a 5701 in my wife's 03 ford Taurus and a 5101 remote start and added power locks to my 88 s10 Blazer, the baja replaced the blazer when the motor died in it, my installer sent me a 5701 to put in the truck and had me install the blazers 5101 in to my mother in laws 98 Astro and was able to give advice as needed as the Astro would(and was) going to be the harder of the 2.

The Astro install was cake work wiring wise with a Directechs wiring guide(sent by my installer, i did the strip a 1/2 inch chunk(1 inch for the consent 12v wires) poke a hole, place wire into hole, twist wire and tape. used T-Taps for the ease of install on the tack, parking lights, brake switch and hatch pop. and did the resistor mod to kill pass lock II. Only real troubles i had with the install was resetting the settings from the blazer to the Astro, learning how to program it and dealing with a semi working pass lock II. Total time it took, 3 days of work and 1 day of researching problems with programing and teaching my self how to use my multi meter.

Supply's i have for the baja are the 5701, a 2nt siren that will be placed in the cab, 2 door lock actuators a DEI 451m and a in cab switch for the locks(all lock related parts were pulled from the blazer), a Directechs wiring guide, templates for the actuator mounting holes(again copied from the blazer) a 2nt hood pin switch for my in bed tool box. Tools are basic, wire strippers(http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ta19000.html), a pick, high quality electrical tape, drill and drill bits, T-Taps, relays(if needed), random screw drivers, smokes and soda.

I do not want to use T-Taps with this install(or any others that i do) unless they are fully needed. I don't think in the long run they are as secure as the 'strip-poke-twist-tape' way of splicing a wire into an existing wire. i get to really cheat with the door locks as all the parts and wiring i have pulled from the blazer.

The wiring part I'm not to worried about. The questions i do have are ones that seem simple to me but its stuff Id like to be sure about. Can the 5701 handle the 2 sirens or will i need to add a relay. The tool box pin i plan to wire into the trunk pin spot on the 5701, will it work ok or should i splice it into the hood pin one as ill be using a hood pin for it. Placement for the inside siren, I'm thinking under one of the jump seats in the extended cab part(note on this, Ill end up with one working jump seat on the passenger side, the drivers side is going to be gutted for first aid kit, fire extinguisher and random item storage as my sub sits behind the drivers seat) if i place it there I'm thinking it would be best to have it under the working jump seat to make it harder to get to. And lastly brain placement, i know that unlike the 5101, it needs to be mounted in a place that can make use of the shock sensor, any tips with that?

The output on the brain will be able to handle two sirens. Wiring the toolbox pin into the trunk pin will work fine. As for siren placement just put it somewhere loud that is hard to get to... Mounting hte brain I usually use big zipties and try to get it onto a think main wiring harness, steering column, or you can use self taping screws and mount it to like the firewall... kinda sucks how DEI switched everything over to the integrated shock sensors... you could always buy an external if you can't find a good spot.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

The output on the brain will be able to handle two sirens. Wiring the toolbox pin into the trunk pin will work fine. As for siren placement just put it somewhere loud that is hard to get to... Mounting the brain I usually use big zip ties and try to get it onto a think main wiring harness, steering column, or you can use self taping screws and mount it to like the firewall... kinda sucks how DEI switched everything over to the integrated shock sensors... you could always buy an external if you can't find a good spot.

Thanks for confirming what i was thinking on the sirens, toolbox pin and placement. :) With the 5101 in the blazer we had it zip tied it to steering column but I'm kinda hesitant to do it as its really easy to get to. Guess if i have to i can make a shied for it. gunna take a good look under the drivers side of the dash and see if there's any where i can be easily hidden. thou in the end even a perfectly hidden brain can still be disabled

Sounds like you've got everything covered.

One thing you might want to learn to do is solder. Throw the T-taps away. (Literally, throw them in the trash can and never consider using them ever again) The technique you described to make your wiring taps is what you should use on all your connections. Next step is to solder all of those connections. Sure I can be confident with my connections as such without solder just as you have described, however when you want to take it to the next level of confidence with your connections, make a solid solder joint on all your connections and you will never doubt a loose connection.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Sounds like you've got everything covered.

One thing you might want to learn to do is solder. Throw the T-taps away. (Literally, throw them in the trash can and never consider using them ever again) The technique you described to make your wiring taps is what you should use on all your connections. Next step is to solder all of those connections. Sure I can be confident with my connections as such without solder just as you have described, however when you want to take it to the next level of confidence with your connections, make a solid solder joint on all your connections and you will never doubt a loose connection.

I know how to solder. :) Even did it in the Astro install with the resistor mod. I trust the 'strip-poke-twist-tape' method of splicing as much as i trust soldering. Even gone to the point of testing both ways with scrap wire and both of them tore the wire and didn't pull the connection with the 'strip-poke-twist-tape' way. And i really don't feel like laying under the wires id be soldering. :)

As of last night when i stopped working on it. All i got left are replacing my door jam switches and wiring them to the alarm, mount and run the wire for my door locks, the tack wire and umm... I guess then its off to programing then mounting the antenna at the very end. I did end up soldering the ign wires due to a minor mishap with my wire strippers.

I know how to solder. :) Even did it in the Astro install with the resistor mod. I trust the 'strip-poke-twist-tape' method of splicing as much as i trust soldering. Even gone to the point of testing both ways with scrap wire and both of them tore the wire and didn't pull the connection with the 'strip-poke-twist-tape' way. And i really don't feel like laying under the wires id be soldering. :)

As long as you're confident to 100% with your connections that's fine.

Don't be scared of a little molten lead hittin ya! Just the other day I had to solder a tap into an ignition lead under the dash of a 2010 Camaro. There's little to no room to work under those dashes. :werd_msword: Wear some glasses and you don't have to worry about solder dripping in your eyes. :peepwall:

Just yesterday had an 08 altima get a viper 350HV put in, In this case it was almost easier for me to take the time to solder the wires due to almost no slack in the wire harnesses.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

As long as you're confident to 100% with your connections that's fine.

Don't be scared of a little molten lead hittin ya! Just the other day I had to solder a tap into an ignition lead under the dash of a 2010 Camaro. There's little to no room to work under those dashes. :werd_msword: Wear some glasses and you don't have to worry about solder dripping in your eyes. :peepwall:

Just yesterday had an 08 altima get a viper 350HV put in, In this case it was almost easier for me to take the time to solder the wires due to almost no slack in the wire harnesses.

I'm not scared of it, just don't care to get burned. I did solder the ign wires thou, ended up cutting one almost in half when i forgot to adjust my wire strippers and figured id grab the rest. Every thing else is with the other way. If I'm not 100% confident of any connection ill redo it tell its good and if I aint happy after 3 trys out comes the soldering iron.

As of now, the Baja is alarmed and will remote start. items left secure wires under the hood and dash. Mount and wire my door lock actuators and put my dash back together.

Really wanted to be done in 2 days but i ran across a few little fixes i had to do. both door jam pins needed to be replaced, had to rerun a vacuum line, and where i wanted to place the siren took ALOT of work to get to and mount. But its worth it, it echos like crazy and is about twice as loud as the siren in my wife's car.

Its pouring rain as i type so I'm done for the night. :)

Archived