1st computer build any tips?

TTT

You're solid man, it's really hard to make a big mistake picking out parts ESPECIALLY for a rig that isn't for gaming. If it were me I would be going with NV over ATi because of the reasons I outlined (plus flash acceleration advances faster with NV), but the tech is in its infancy still and you can always add another card later.

Just be sure you can't buy it prebuilt for less. It's hard to beat the big guys now days. Normally as long as you get more ram through New Egg it's cheaper. While many people have horror stories about Cyberpower you can custom build a PC through them and often times it's cheaper than NewEgg. I had no choice but to go with them with my last computer (I've been putting them together since 93) because it was $350 cheaper.

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

You're solid man, it's really hard to make a big mistake picking out parts ESPECIALLY for a rig that isn't for gaming. If it were me I would be going with NV over ATi because of the reasons I outlined (plus flash acceleration advances faster with NV), but the tech is in its infancy still and you can always add another card later.

Just be sure you can't buy it prebuilt for less. It's hard to beat the big guys now days. Normally as long as you get more ram through New Egg it's cheaper. While many people have horror stories about Cyberpower you can custom build a PC through them and often times it's cheaper than NewEgg. I had no choice but to go with them with my last computer (I've been putting them together since 93) because it was $350 cheaper.

Thanks, yea i am going to check around, there is a couple of computer shops in my town so i am going to check there also. They have base models that start out at $99 and then when you start adding the price goes up. Also i am going to check best buy and other places to just to make sure. I mean this would be a solid comp but that doesn't mean i cant get something with similar specs for cheaper.

Everything is about OpenCL what are you talking about? NV's SDK and driver for OCL run under the CUDA architecture they don't compete. OCL isn't like OGL my man, it's more than just graphics, it allows devs to pool a systems resources as a whole. It was created to run on everything and on any architecture...

Go to post 15 and tell me which of the items listed by the Op is about OpenCL/CUDA?

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Just found this. Specs seem to be pretty good and its going to cost $100 less.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/sys/1804067597.html

Check on the warranty.

Go to post 15 and tell me which of the items listed by the Op is about OpenCL/CUDA?

The whole post does... I take it you think OpenCL is only for graphics?

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Check on the warranty.

The whole post does... I take it you think OpenCL is only for graphics?

Seriously dude calm down. The OP never said anything about stream computing.. He just wants a basic computer to do some minor video editing once in a while.

777319156.png

Seriously dude calm down. The OP never said anything about stream computing.. He just wants a basic computer to do some minor video editing once in a while.

Needless to say i got lost QUICK!

Underlok, I called the the guy on the craigslist post, he runs a small business out of his house and offers a 2 year warranty on the computer, so if ANYTHING goes wrong he told me to bring it in and he will fix it free of charge.

Good to see someone was able to read what I wrote without needing corrective lenses ; )

On a side note, there are nV OpenCL 1.1 drivers out now if you know the places to look.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Be careful not to bend the pins on the cpu when installing it...

To much thermal paste isn't any better than not enough...

And last... TAKE YOUR TIME! Goodluck :)

Edit: Personally I like to build and work on mine on a clean linoleum floor in BAREFEET...take your socks off...they cause more static then you could even imagine... and if in doubt reground you hand on the computer chassis.

Edited by wL<3bass

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...