Sonic Electronix

Under powering VS, leaving bass knob down

Im confused on how so many people can think that under powering can damage subs. Cause if this was true every time you turn the volume down it would blow your subs right?

Yes me to hints the reason i made this thread, maybe it was something i misunderstood... But its clear you blow a sub due to dirty clipped power in this case..

Maybe a mod can clean up the unneeded stuff and make this a sticky for ppl in the future wanting this answered....

Edited by orangecounty

2002 civic

2- 12in dc lvl5s

1- crescendo 3kwp ( 1 more on the way)

1- stock honda alt

4-xs d3100s

3-asa300.2 amps

6- PB 4XL's

4-PB l-3h tweets

and a bunch of other sh!t

the build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/74044-project-will-it-fit/

Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/slammedblackbish

Im confused on how so many people can think that under powering can damage subs. Cause if this was true every time you turn the volume down it would blow your subs right?

Volume does not = power being produced. Amp always makes the same amount of power. As said by others, amps are stupid, they don't know what to do so they just keep making a set amount of power depending on voltage, impedance, and gains. The amp doesn't say "OH HAI HE'S TURNING THE VOLUME DOWN, I'LL BE SURE TO CREATE LESS POWER"...

Edit: If you meant "....time you turn the GAIN down..", then you are correct. If not, read the above.

clean power VS. dirty power

Dirty power? You mean signal? No such thing as "dirty" power..

Edited by Slawsen

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

Volume does not = power being produced. Amp always makes the same amount of power. As said by others, amps are stupid, they don't know what to do so they just keep making a set amount of power depending on voltage, impedance, and gains. The amp doesn't say "OH HAI HE'S TURNING THE VOLUME DOWN, I'LL BE SURE TO CREATE LESS POWER"...

Edit: If you meant "....time you turn the GAIN down..", then you are correct. If not, read the above.

Dirty power? You mean signal? No such thing as "dirty" power..

:orly3:

1. amps do not always make the same amount of power

2. there is such a thing as dirty power, after all signal is power

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

x2

Stop trying to increase your total posts you noob!!! :yahoo:

Under powering damage the subs?????? haha oh my god, i´m not even talking much about that myth, i damaged a 1000 watts sub with a 400 watts amplifier when i was a noob, and it was because i was clipping the hell out of it, underpowering doesn´t have anything to do with that...

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

you cannot hurt a sub by under powering it. ever.

it is clipping that leads to killing a sub and most of the time clipping is caused because the amps being used do not make enough power for the sub, so the user turns the amp beyond the point of clipping without knowing it.

ding ding ding ding correct answer...everyone stop bitching and fighting..if it happens again a 3 day vaca for everyone involved will be issued. now keep it clean (pun intended) and relax :drinks:

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!