I have a question for anyone who is willing and sorry OP i'm not trying to thread jack, i just don't wanna make a thread about it.

Why is it a good idea to fuse based on the size of the wire vs the actual amount of current going through it at any given time?

Heres an example.

I have a walmart ever start battery, if i had 0 gauge wire as my big three why should i use a 300 amp fuse? My battery would NEVER blow it and the car would burn to the ground even with the fuse.

Wouldn't it just be best to put a fuse based on how much current comes from the alt?

the batt would not blow it but say if the sheilding on ur 1/0 burned and it were to short from touching all the grounds the fuse would definitly blow as far as using the 300A fuse i think its so you can have as much current as possible pass through.

1995 Integra GSR (DB8)

Pioneer 3200-DVD

6.5 rockford fosgate 2-way fronts

6.5 rockford fosgate 3-way rear

saz-3000D

(2) 12" SA-12s

mwspllogo.jpg

the batt would not blow it but say if the sheilding on ur 1/0 burned and it were to short from touching all the grounds the fuse would definitly blow as far as using the 300A fuse i think its so you can have as much current as possible pass through.

No, the fuse would bot blow solely because the battery cannot provide 300 amps. And everyone acts like fuses are comparable to bottle necks. Fuses are solid metal and not just super thin copper wire, they do not bottle neck current.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

No, the fuse would bot blow solely because the battery cannot provide 300 amps. And everyone acts like fuses are comparable to bottle necks. Fuses are solid metal and not just super thin copper wire, they do not bottle neck current.

The fuses will blow, even a walmart battery will blow a 300a fuse.(test it out if u want. :P)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.