Second Skin Audio

Psyched About New Mag

Guest MegaloManiac

Guest MegaloManiac

yeah, nick was explaining on ca.com about how he could either make a more beefier sub and capable of a bit more power handling or a smaller(as in required space and more efficiency) driver that can outperform the current mag.

yea as i said over there i dont like the idea of a beefier sub that takes more power. no point imo to make people run more power when the current gen is low power nice ooutput and clean sound

Guest MegaloManiac

update!

Ok, here's a little more information for you *** people.

The basket used on the new Mag is going to be enclosed (or a wrap-around style).

The mounting depth should be under 135mm (5.5")

Voice coil diameter is going to be 3", aluminum former, copper windings.

It will have a shorting ring in the motor to help with inductance issues (even though the inductance is being cut in half compared to our current Mag I'm still putting a shorting ring in there)

As of now the basket will be black with a chrome or polished backplate.

Paper cone/foam surround (we've been doing research on how cone material affects sonic performance - and yes, even if cone breakup is above your crossover point, lower harmonics still creep into the subwoofer bandwidth and color the sound - which is why we have chosen to go with the particular blend of paper that we're going with).

Power handling will be 1000 watts.

Enclosure sizes for the 12" are 0.8 to 1.1 cubes sealed and 1.8 cubes ported to 33 Hz.

Better SQ, MUCH shallow mounting depth, slightly lower peak excursion, same efficiency, and the same ability to get really loud if you want to.

Awesome i might run 2 15's in my x-cab...im over the whole "bass that will kill your mother" mode.... i like to listen to those big systems but im not dumpin money into havin one...2 mag's on roughly 2200 watts would be awesome....

EDIT: WOOOTTT!!!! 300th post!!! 18+ section here i come....(hopefully) lol

xa-1.gif

whats thier website?

SI

well, nm I guess I could look for it. I seen the SIs online before, they dont look anything impressive, but I guess they could have some great design under the cone/and inside the VC gap hmm

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

whats thier website?

SI

well, nm I guess I could look for it. I seen the SIs online before, they dont look anything impressive, but I guess they could have some great design under the cone/and inside the VC gap hmm

ALOT of subs use the same formula 12 spoke basket and paper composite cone. All the magic is in the motor /VC/ gaps. i mean visually alot of swap meet sub look "interesting" but obviously are crap, so i guess you can say looks are decieving.

after seeing that one picture on there of the older magnum SI 12" I remember that guy, when I worked at the sub shop, we had one of those things, wasnt anything impressive, but that was like 5 years ago, they newers ones look better

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Archived