Second Skin Audio

Possibly a noob question?

Ok like on dc audios website the rms for a level 3 is 600.

That's the same for the ten, twelve, an 15,

why do we have sizs if they have the same size motor And same rms, sorry for the lame question but if someone would explain I'd appreciate it.

And I mean more than 15 goes lower. Etc

Higher diameter subwoofers tend to be able to handle lower frequencies and have more cone area, thus being able to move more air. A 10 in sub will have less cone area than an 18. If your looking to move a lot of air a a single 18 will be able to do so better unless you get multiple 10's. Others will have more scientific answers, I'm guessing.

Also 18's are just cool and beastly looking. And loud and low 10's are just awesome.

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Audison----Hertz----Rainbow

More cone area = more noise, but you also need a bigger box. If you can't get a 15 in its proper airspace, it won't perform as well as a much smaller sub.

EX. In my trunk, I could probably physically fit an 18 inch sub. But the box for it would probably be way too small. So I would do better getting a 15 or even a 12. I'd have better output and a better sounding sub stage.

And like any rule, there are exceptions. 1508s anyone?

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Thanks guys, so will a 15 sound better as in SQ than a 10 like it can still hit higher notes like a ten but also hit low?

Its all install dependent. In some cases yes and in others no.

Me personally, I'll stuff the biggest sub I can. But I'm an SQL type of guy. Pure SQ is far too expensive for this dude.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

It really depends on how you build the box and where you tune it to. For SQ you might want to go with the 10 for a better/ quicker response. If you want a moderately loud setup with it still sounding good the level 3 15 should do the job. What kind of area are you working with? L x W x H?

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Audison----Hertz----Rainbow

It really depends on how you build the box and where you tune it to. For SQ you might want to go with the 10 for a better/ quicker response. If you want a moderately loud setup with it still sounding good the level 3 15 should do the job. What kind of area are you working with? L x W x H?

This part I definitely don't agree with. Both Steve's Tahoe and BigPimpin's Bronco do work on double kicks. And IIRC they are both 18s.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

the motors in today's subs are so much stronger than even 10 years ago, I dont think u have to worry about them sounding off or delayed on kick drums. I say go for the largest you can and do work from there.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Archived