Sonic Electronix

Ok guys I have had a horrible day with my audio. I have 2 inch Alpine Type R's wired to one ohm and a sundown saz-1000d amp. But today I was bumping for a short time for a parts run. I noticed my bass was not pounding like normal, I have had a problem with my box sliding around. Once my wires came out of my box while i made a hard turn, I fixed it asap. That was a few weeks ago and i havent had that problem sinc. But after I made my parts run I decided to check out my box to see whats up. I left the music on a high volume and as soon as I opened my trunk I smelled burning and looked at my subs to see one out of phase and blown. When I got home I checked over everything,my wiring the same no change everything connected good. Then I cut my car off then went isinde, then came back to turn it back on...my amp would not turn on. I checked the rcas and all 3 fuses and it was all fine. Then I opened the hood to check my inline fuse, my fuse holder itself. My fuse holder began to melt itselff to my power wire on both ends!! The fuse inside was not blown but the fuseholder and wrie began to melt together. I switched to a different fuse holder same type and fuse and my amp worked. So I have a fucked up unusable fuse holder and a blown sub. I am more worried as to why the holder melted, anyone have any insight or advice???

i

edit: I took my subs out of the box when i got home. The voicecoils in both subs are still shiny as hell. But the one that I think is blow is hot to the touch and stinks, But both look fine...

Edited by SRHBigMike

resistance! what kind of wire gauge are you using?

and i dont think its blown i think if it was it wouldnt play someone correct me if am wrong, maybe u just got ur gain up too high.

Edited by jl_audio

cowboys_logo.gif

check the coils with a DMM, and that mishap with the fuseholder is almost becoming common.

The holder itself melts with the fuse and it blows without looking blown.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

fuse holders usually melt because the fuse gets so hot it melts the plastic casing. this can be caused by running rated power, or close to, through a fuse. example: pulling 50 amps of current through a 50 amp fuse. i hope you put a fuse in the fuse holder that matches the size of the total fuse amount on the amp.

either its that that caused the melting, or a short on the power wire SOMEWHERE along the run of wire.

edit: jl_audio reminded me of something. if the wire isnt tightened down STRONG on the fuse holder on both ends, resistance will cause the wire to heat up alot.

Edited by Kranny

Four gauge for amp power and ground, and like 14 gauge for my sub wiring...

so its a 1000 rms amp right ? is it like a name brand wire 4 gauge i am not the most knowledgeable person but ama try to help u with what i can my fuse holder melted like a year ago and replaced it and never happen again i think i hooked up the wire wrong to the fuse holder which cause resistance=melted fuse holder

Edited by jl_audio

cowboys_logo.gif

fuse holders usually melt because the fuse gets so hot it melts the plastic casing. this can be caused by running rated power, or close to, through a fuse. example: pulling 50 amps of current through a 50 amp fuse. i hope you put a fuse in the fuse holder that matches the size of the total fuse amount on the amp.

either its that that caused the melting, or a short on the power wire SOMEWHERE along the run of wire.

edit: jl_audio reminded me of something. if the wire isnt tightened down STRONG on the fuse holder on both ends, resistance will cause the wire to heat up alot.

I was using a eighty amp fuse in my holder but there are 3 30 amps fuses on the amp = 90....can 10 less amps completely melt a fuse holder to a wire??? It was tightened very strong, I could not pull it off or tug the wire from it.

I pushed down on both subs, they both pushed without a problem. And the voicecoils are still copper!!! But the blown one is out of phase and smokes. It was really hot when it came out of the box but my other woofer is fine. They are both on the same circuit is that possible to blow one and not the other?

Edited by SRHBigMike

I was using a eighty amp fuse in my holder but there are 3 30 amps fuses on the amp = 90....can 10 less amps completely melt a fuse holder to a wire??? It was tightened very strong, I could not pull it off or tug the wire from it.

I pushed down on both subs, they both pushed without a problem. And the voicecoils are still copper!!! But the blown one is out of phase and smokes. It was really hot when it came out of the box but my other woofer is fine. They are both on the same circuit is that possible to blow one and not the other?

dude get yourself a 100 amp anl fuse that 4 gauge will smoke that 80 amp since your amp is trying to draw 90 so its overloaded on the 80 amp fuse, as far as the sub goes, i wouldn't know, i blew one of my subs yesterday but still have 2 good ones to play with subs will just blow when they feel like it, but i would recommend 12 gauge wires for your subs less resistance

Maybe I'm stupid, but I fuse for the size of wire at the battery. 120 amp fuse or so at battery in ur fuse holder. Then ur fuses in ur amp protect it. U don't want to put a smaller size at the battery than u have at the amp. Like feeding a fire hose with a straw. U limit the end result.