Sonic Electronix

Amps Overheating Majorly Need Advice on Cooling

OK... Here is my problem... I have 4 amps in the back of my 04 Ford Explorer, 3 AudioQue 2200d's and 1 US Amps 1600.4 for mids and highs. Well... I was originally going to run the back air conditioner vents to the back for cooling, but to fit 6 15's behind the back seat of a Ford Explorer, we needed EVERY bit of room for cabinet. Well, now that summer is here it acts like an oven in the back because the US Amps amp gets hot as hell and heats EVERYTHING up till it is too hot to touch! Even the batteries! I was wondering if swapping amps for the mids and highs would help... But I was also trying to figure a way to get ventilation to the back to get some fresh air into the back amp rack... I DO NOT WANT TO REDO THE CABINET... Doe you guys have any ideas of what I can use or any tips on how to get some type of vent to the back, I thought about making some type of air ram coming in from the bottom of the truck with a fan sucking fresh air in, but there is no room under the truck to do this.

Any ideas?!?!?! Here is what I have to work with as far as room and where I could put vents??? Do they make vents that would keep rain out??? The bad thing is these tires throw up so much water... It mists like a rain forest from all directions behind the truck!

(Ignore the finger! Was bright as hell outsite and could not see the lcd!)

37414b57.jpg

c938b48a.jpg

8db6f76b.jpg

have you thought about reflective tint on your back window instead of the black tint? Honestly thats my only thing i can think of at the moment.

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

have you thought about reflective tint on your back window instead of the black tint? Honestly thats my only thing i can think of at the moment.

I just keep thinking about a big fan lol. Really nothing I can think of.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

well because the amps are by the back window the sun hits them directly, so if you have enough room btwn the amps and the window you could creat a amp box that has 70 to 120 mm fans (whatever size fits better) to cool them and keep the sun off of them.

System mainly by pioneer.

A DEH-P4200UB head-unit

TS-A6993R 6x9's

TS-A1782R 6 3/4's

GM-D9500F amp powering the speakers

2 TS-W3002D2 12" subs in a custom vented box made by me

2 GM-D8500M amps for the subs

2 car audio batteries and a 2 farad cap. powering it.

Also sound dampining by Dynamat.

That is the factory tint... I know that reflective tint will help and I plan on doing that... But that won't totally cure the problem I don't think... Kind of painted myself in a corner with this one! LOL!

well because the amps are by the back window the sun hits them directly, so if you have enough room btwn the amps and the window you could creat a amp box that has 70 to 120 mm fans (whatever size fits better) to cool them and keep the sun off of them.

I am thinking of putting a white piece of vinyl on the back window with a black piece behind it to totally black out the window but have a white piece first to help reflect the light... I wonder if that would help any... I can do that right now... but don't have any tint...

I would go ahead and try it, I mean it doesnt hurt to try.. let us know if it helps at all..

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

I would go ahead and try it, I mean it doesnt hurt to try.. let us know if it helps at all..

Oh he's trying it LOL

techforce: brb.. gonna put some vinyl on the back window...(11:37am)

Me: damn that fast?(11:37am)

Me: lol(11:37am)

Me: jumped on that idea

From chat

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

ok.. I put a white vinyl on the inside of the window and then a piece of black vinyl... Didn't look that good... I may have to run to the local tint shop and grab some reflective tint... Of course I can put a graphic on the outside of the back window... The tint would be a quicker solution... I hate doing graphics for myself??? Go figure...

I was going to say put the windows down til I saw the pics. if you do fans can you funnel the intake from the outside? air will still flow but the smaller opening would cut down on the water and grime that gets in. you follow that?

\/ type opening instead of | | or slant it to the back. instead of straight down

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived