My Grand Prix has all sorts of tiny dents all over the place I want to fill in. One in particular is on the rear quarter panel, blocked from the back by the wheel tub:

100_1461-1.jpg

It's too deep for me to be comfortable with using bondo on it, but IDK how else to get it out unless I like weld a nail to it and pull it. Problem is this metal's so damned thin (I literally put a dent like that in my fender by leaning over the hood, and my belt buckle got pushed into it) that I don't feel safe doing that. Any advice?

Also, I would obviously need to get paint done after all this de-denting was done. Paint guys, what would you estimate the price for a full spray in the factory color, and/or if I were to add some blue pearl or metal flake to the factory paint? If I could get a clean space to spray in I would just do it, but...yeah, not happening.

Too many projects, too little time...

My Grand Prix has all sorts of tiny dents all over the place I want to fill in. One in particular is on the rear quarter panel, blocked from the back by the wheel tub:

100_1461-1.jpg

It's too deep for me to be comfortable with using bondo on it, but IDK how else to get it out unless I like weld a nail to it and pull it. Problem is this metal's so damned thin (I literally put a dent like that in my fender by leaning over the hood, and my belt buckle got pushed into it) that I don't feel safe doing that. Any advice?

Also, I would obviously need to get paint done after all this de-denting was done. Paint guys, what would you estimate the price for a full spray in the factory color, and/or if I were to add some blue pearl or metal flake to the factory paint? If I could get a clean space to spray in I would just do it, but...yeah, not happening.

the only way to get those dents out are usually with the stud gun and slide hammer like you mentioned. unless you have access to the back side, but even so you would have to possibly use a pick or just a dollie and get it out under 1/8" deep. as for spraying it all depends on what shop you go to and what there rates are. (also determining what paint they spray). plus those metal flakes arent cheap and they have to spray the car differently in order to apply them.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

I vote White Lightning (if you're looking for color suggestions).

Its a color that's similar to the White Diamond color, but it uses a blue pearl IIRC. I've seen it once and LOVED it. If I ever repaint a vehicle, I'm picking one of those two colors.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Slide hammer and dollie ideas are the only way to remove the dent. Now, for a paint idea. I have found a pretty darn good paint solution for cheap, for a daily driver. My buddy had a hacked to hell s10, which he wanted to paint one color. Well, he sanded down the truck, went down to Tractor Supply and picked up a few cans of tractor implement paint. His dad and him had just restored his Farmall H Tractor to damn near show quality with this paint.

What it is, its generally a bit tougher then automotive paint, but very easy to apply. With a little bit of body work, the paint can give you show quality with farm tested toughness. I have a buddy who has a mud truck (600 hp chevy with 40's) who wanted a decent looking paint, for somewhat cheap. He seen my other buddies results and decided to try it. They went out and bought 2 gallons for like $50 with tax. Da'd the paint down a bit. They didnt have a good enviroment to spray, so they soaked the dirt garage floor and closed up the place. They decided to spray.. The truck today.. is almost too nice to mud. It's literally immaculate, besides a few dents in the body that were overlooked. By the way, his paint is semi gloss, with no clear coat added and no base coat either, only the factory gm paint to adhere to.

I figured, everyone is looking for cheap, and especially if this is a DD then its going to get damaged and what not. I think the implement paint with a little extra body work can reap great results.

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

Slide hammer and dollie ideas are the only way to remove the dent. Now, for a paint idea. I have found a pretty darn good paint solution for cheap, for a daily driver. My buddy had a hacked to hell s10, which he wanted to paint one color. Well, he sanded down the truck, went down to Tractor Supply and picked up a few cans of tractor implement paint. His dad and him had just restored his Farmall H Tractor to damn near show quality with this paint.

What it is, its generally a bit tougher then automotive paint, but very easy to apply.With a little bit of body work, the paint can give you show quality with farm tested toughness. I have a buddy who has a mud truck (600 hp chevy with 40's) who wanted a decent looking paint, for somewhat cheap. He seen my other buddies results and decided to try it. They went out and bought 2 gallons for like $50 with tax. Da'd the paint down a bit. They didnt have a good enviroment to spray, so they soaked the dirt garage floor and closed up the place. They decided to spray.. The truck today.. is almost too nice to mud. It's literally immaculate, besides a few dents in the body that were overlooked. By the way, his paint is semi gloss, with no clear coat added and no base coat either, only the factory gm paint to adhere to.

I figured, everyone is looking for cheap, and especially if this is a DD then its going to get damaged and what not. I think the implement paint with a little extra body work can reap great results.

that made me lol....but you got any pics? id really like to see that (not bein sarcastic).

Edited by mbdblue

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Thanks for the suggestions, however if I do get the car painted it will be in the factory color. My insurance is really nitpicky for some reason about paint (my brother had an accident with an Accord he had repainted and they halved how much he got for the totaled car because it was not the color it was supposed to be.) As such I figured if I did anything different it would be adding something to the factory color.

...I wonder if I could use one of those huge suction-cup dent puller things on it...

Thanks for the suggestions, however if I do get the car painted it will be in the factory color. My insurance is really nitpicky for some reason about paint (my brother had an accident with an Accord he had repainted and they halved how much he got for the totaled car because it was not the color it was supposed to be.) As such I figured if I did anything different it would be adding something to the factory color.

...I wonder if I could use one of those huge suction-cup dent puller things on it...

most of those suction cup pullers are a scam man. the problem is that metal expands, so it wont go back to its original nice form. if you caught it within like an hour of the dent, then it may work. but once its been through heat and cold expanding and retracting in that form, thats the shape its taken.

most of those suction cup pullers are a scam man. the problem is that metal expands, so it wont go back to its original nice form. if you caught it within like an hour of the dent, then it may work. but once its been through heat and cold expanding and retracting in that form, thats the shape its taken.

Damn. How would I go about pulling it with the slide hammer? I can get access to a welder.

Damn. How would I go about pulling it with the slide hammer? I can get access to a welder.

you'll need a stud welder (a little gun that welds the end of little "nails" onto the metal body) and then you pull on them with the slide hammer.

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel