First time fiberglasses

OK this is going to be my first glassing ever. Ok where do i get the mat, resin, bondo, etc. and also how much mat do i need for bout a 2,5 cu ft box that is being molding into one side of my car.

so how do i make the mold of one side. like this lay tin foil down then resin for a mold or what. sorry for the noobish question but i am learning something new but it will look good.

OK this is going to be my first glassing ever. Ok where do i get the mat, resin, bondo, etc. and also how much mat do i need for bout a 2,5 cu ft box that is being molding into one side of my car.

so how do i make the mold of one side. like this lay tin foil down then resin for a mold or what. sorry for the noobish question but i am learning something new but it will look good.

IDK much about glassing, but using tin foil as a mold would be.. something. Most people use fleece I believe.

look through some of the glass builds on here man. Im sure all of them are informative in there own way and can get you pointed in the right direction.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

go to your local auto parts store or walmart they should haveall the stuff you need... otherwise try mobilesolutions.com or look around online.

You will need body filler, matting, cloth, resin, hardener, dowel rods, screws of all different sizes, hot glue/hot glue gun or other type of fast drying glue, staples/staple gun, brushes, masks, gloves, filler spreaders, sand paper (you'll need LOTS, all different grit levels too,) might want a sanding block as well, fleece, and some background music to keep yourself sane while doing this project, cuz when you start sanding, it will seem like it never ends...

-Always make sure to use a fabric that is more than 60% polyester, resin will dissolve the cotton otherwise.

-When getting brushes make sure to get regular bristle ones about 2 inch wide will work great, the cheaper the better.

-when getting gloves, make sure to get ones that fit nice and snug but are really cheap, latex ones are alright, they are cheap and you will go through them like crazy, but will work fine.

-I suggest getting a mask too, depending on where you are working, unless you want to get high on you resin fumes >_>.

-Matting comes by the square yard, there are two kinds, cloth and "hair" the cloth is smooth, normally like last couple layers, and the "hair" is the structural stuff.

-Always mix the resin in glass, ceramic, or metal bowls, it will eat through most plastic ones, again, cheaper the better, you will go through these pretty quickly too.

When glassing a mold use painters tape and tin foil everywhere in that area, and remember to make it bigger than necessary, so you can trim the edges off. Lay the tin foil down, shape it to your mold, use a crap load of painters tape over it and apply resin/hardener mix, then add matting then resin it, then apply matting, then resin it, then apply matting, then resin it, then apply matting... you get it... you generally want between 5-9 layers of glass depending on the equipment going in. make the face out of wood, cuz it saves time, and fiberglass is only strong on the curves. Use big dowel rods for structure and glue them in place, drill/screw if possible. Sand the fiberglass on the out side periodically to keep it smooth, you don't want to have to use more body filler than fiberglass!

Those are all of the tips I have for you, anyone feel free to add to this, or correct any of my mistakes, I'm just a noob, lol. For any other advice, just look around at other people's projects.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Archived