Second Skin Audio

Slot port question

Slawsen

This is gonna be for 2 type R 12's.

So far this is what i've got, and the port dimensions are CONFUSING ME. I'm not sure if I want a wall in the middle of the port that divides to box into separate chambers, or if i want to have 2 port walls. And i'm not sure what the length width and the height of the port correspond with...Can anyone help me?

P.S: This is my first box build, and i'm more of a visual learner, so this is not easy for me..

typerbox.png

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

You need more port area to begin with.

Maybe this will help you understand port dimensions?

6188.jpg

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

What do the el sl and stuff on the port diagram stand for? And I should be able to figure it out from there. I know i need more port area, I was just trying to figure out how the calc works cuz i was confused

Ah this is gay..I still cant figure out what is what in comparison to this calculator..common port walls, external port wall, height, width, length of port

00' Nissan Xterra

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

SH is port height

SW is port width

SL is port length

so height and width have to do with the front baffle cuts, and the port length is the port board on the inside? And you don't have to do an L..or external port.?

00' Nissan Xterra

External port is the amount of port that is physically outside of the box. For example, BigPimpin91's box has external "aeroports". (don't think they're flared)

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

so height and width have to do with the front baffle cuts, and the port length is the port board on the inside? And you don't have to do an L..or external port.?

Port width is constant throughout the entire port.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

The easiest way to do it would be a slot port that looks like the pic that BJD3 posted, both subs in a common chamber with one port.

Port height would be your overall height minus 1.5 (assuming you're using 3/4 wood).

Port width is whatever you need to get your port area into the recommended range (the recommended range will change depending on the net volume)

Port length is whatever it needs to be to get your desired tuning.

All these things will change any time you change your overall dimensions, so just monkey around with it until you get all your dimensions, volume, tuning, etc. where you want them.

Oh yeah, and if you design a box that looks like the one above, the number of common port walls will be 3.

subbox.jpg

As I understand it, physical port length is what I made red in the pic above. Effective port length is longer because the port acts longer than it actually is. Physical port length is what you need to know to cut your pieces.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

The easiest way to do it would be a slot port that looks like the pic that BJD3 posted, both subs in a common chamber with one port.

Port height would be your overall height minus 1.5 (assuming you're using 3/4 wood).

Port width is whatever you need to get your port area into the recommended range (the recommended range will change depending on the net volume)

Port length is whatever it needs to be to get your desired tuning.

All these things will change any time you change your overall dimensions, so just monkey around with it until you get all your dimensions, volume, tuning, etc. where you want them.

Oh yeah, and if you design a box that looks like the one above, the number of common port walls will be 3.

So if i wanted both subs to the left side and the port all the way to the right side, it would be 3 common walls? And the length of the port is the whole length of the "L"???

00' Nissan Xterra

Archived