Sonic Electronix

Largeanincharge, you should read the thread,"how to set gains with a dmm'.

YOu can get full output of the amp even if the gain is almost 0.(depends on HU output voltage and you'rs is pretty high.)

YOU can also set the gains like AQ is saying, use a 50hz test tone and turn up the gain till the clipping light is really lightly blinking.(and after that don't add bassboost)

I think half gain with you're output voltage is still too much.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

soooo i just cheked with a DMM.. its wired at 1ohm and i can get up to about 50volts before it starts to clip... and the calculator tells me thats 2500watts? wow...

so im assuming playing this hdc315 at 2500rms within the first week of getting it isn't good? lol..

do you guys think its safe to play at around 2krms as long as it shows no clipping?

soooo i just cheked with a DMM.. its wired at 1ohm and i can get up to about 50volts before it starts to clip... and the calculator tells me thats 2500watts? wow...

so im assuming playing this hdc315 at 2500rms within the first week of getting it isn't good? lol..

do you guys think its safe to play at around 2krms as long as it shows no clipping?

YES :drinks:

it's not safe to say. ;)

You don't need to be easy on the sub if u're trying to break it in.

Just put the full wattage on it from the start it will eventually break in from itself.

(best way to break in a sub is to use low tones to have close to max excursion without a lot of power.)

it's not safe to say. ;)

You don't need to be easy on the sub if u're trying to break it in.

Just put the full wattage on it from the start it will eventually break in from itself.

(best way to break in a sub is to use low tones to have close to max excursion without a lot of power.)

Ah, i love playing songs with lower bass anyway so that should help haha. I actually can't believe it wasnt clipping on a bunch of songs with around 2.4k-ish rms. thats over what the amp is even rated at...

are there any bad effects to the sub to play really low tones like mid 20hz if theirs no clipping? im guessing i still have to watch for over-excusion and bottoming out?

The problem with setting your amp's output with a DMM vs an O-Scope is that you don't know what your box rise is, and if you don't take that into account and set your amp to be putting out the power at the impedance you think you're at when it's actually higher, you're going to be clipping.

Real world example from my build. 18" AA SMD D2 wired in parallel (so around .7 ohms) off a Sundown 4500D. Now if I was to assume I was at 1 ohm and set my amp's output with a DMM to put out 4500 watts, I would be clipping the everloving shit out of my sub. Why? Because after box rise I'm at 3.3 ohms. O-scope'd my amp with a -9db 50hz test tone "clean" and then clamped the amp with a 0db 39hz test tone and I was seeing 2400 watts. I clip on test tones obviously, and on most music I'll have light clipping. If I had set it with a DMM, I would be clipping like CRAZY.

What I'm trying to say is, try as hard as you can to set your gains with an O-scope. If that's not plausible, try to get a hold of a clamp meter so you can figure out what your final impedance is after box rise. At least that way you can set your amp to put out the correct power. Say your amp does 2k @ 1 ohm and 1k @ 2 ohms. If you think you're at 1 ohm but clamp it and find out you're at 2 ohms, then you can set your gains with a DMM to put out 1k not 2k.

Another problem I see with using a DMM over an O-Scope, is how do you know when your HU is clipping? With an O-Scope, you scope the HU first and find where it clips and then don't turn it up past that point.

Just wondering.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

the AQ has a damn clip light on the knob... if its clipping... turn it down... simple as that

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

Another problem I see with using a DMM over an O-Scope, is how do you know when your HU is clipping? With an O-Scope, you scope the HU first and find where it clips and then don't turn it up past that point.

Just wondering.

You don't, setting stuff up with a DMM is no different than doing it "by ear". It's no more than a guess. I don't understand why everyone suggests the DMM when the whole idea has more holes in it than my truck...

Amps vary, every single amp out there will not put out rating clean, not to mention box rise, or voltage, or... I do it by ear, touch, and smell.

I just wish I knew someone with a forking scope :(

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Archived