Sonic Electronix

The most stupid car audio rumors

I thought he was giving an example of a sub rated for high power was getting low power. What i quoted was only part of the original comment.

I know. Either way he got it wrong. Lol. I was just stating the most likely way an amp could output DC. But it has nothing to do with underpowering a sub. Just how dodgy the amp is.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Normally amps don't put out DC current, but what do you think that clipping is? :peepwall:

Clipping is AC current. It still alternates between positive and negative voltages. It is just a square wave, that's all. Just because it has DC elements doesn't make it DC.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

I know. Either way he got it wrong. Lol. I was just stating the most likely way an amp could output DC. But it has nothing to do with underpowering a sub. Just how dodgy the amp is.

I understand now. :drinks:

And how come i don't get any more comments on my new log from you man?

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

I understand now. :drinks:

And how come i don't get any more comments on my new log from you man?

If a clipped signal has ac voltage with as you put it "has dc elements" there are still points in the signal path that put out pure dc. Thats a fact! Thats what blows a woofer that is under powered. Take an electronics class instead of regurgitated someone elses words. To say there no is viable DC coming out of an over driven amp is gobledegoop!

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

oh yeah, best buy has a sign that says this, i will quote it as best i can

"10's are more suitable for rock music and fast kicking music

12's are more suitable for louder bass and rap music"

and 18's are too slow to play any music type good.

haha i remember goin into bestbuy and someone tellin me this. BS!!

If a clipped signal has ac voltage with as you put it "has dc elements" there are still points in the signal path that put out pure dc. Thats a fact! Thats what blows a woofer that is under powered. Take an electronics class instead of regurgitated someone elses words. To say there no is viable DC coming out of an over driven amp is gobledegoop!

Yes it is technically DC voltage, although it is only for periods of time(no shit, right? lol). While the average value of a sine wave is 0, music isnt quite the same way and when hard clipping (square waves) are introduced there is actually more positive voltage than negative voltage (because rail voltage wont be zero).

let me say this. CLIPPING ITSELF DOES NOT KILL A SPEAKER. Overheating the coils kills it, period... (other than mechanical failure such as overexcursion).

Well, how do we overheat a coil? Well we can overpower it, sure that makes some coils stinky....but first let me remind you of how a coil cools off. Either while no voltage is present or when it is moving. When hard clipping is present, this means power is also present along with LESS motion of the cone....so this means that the cone is more still than moving, while STILL having power moving across those coils. Do you think the coils are being cooled? How about a HEYALL NAWWWW....

so to wrap things up...It is completely possible to clip the fuck out of a smaller amplifier and put it on...say..a BTL... and it may never fail because the heat may not be enough to fry a BTL coil...or it could be the opposite case...the BTL may die in minutes. It is completely dependent on the heat of the coils and how long it can take it.

Let's make a real life scenario, shall we? Turn on the kitchen stove and touch the burner and pull your hand away very quickly. Nothing hurts...Now hold it there as long as you can, pull away then do it again for a repeated amount of time...Your hand (which is like the coil in a sub) is gonna get fucked up... Now think about what a speaker goes through when you clip it...The square part of the wave is like putting your hand on the stove and KEEPING it there.

This is why you can cleanly overpower a lot of speakers, because at least the coil is moving and getting cooler by doing so (to a point).

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Yes it is technically DC voltage, although it is only for periods of time(no shit, right? lol). While the average value of a sine wave is 0, music isnt quite the same way and when hard clipping (square waves) are introduced there is actually more positive voltage than negative voltage (because rail voltage wont be zero).

let me say this. CLIPPING ITSELF DOES NOT KILL A SPEAKER. Overheating the coils kills it, period... (other than mechanical failure such as overexcursion).

Well, how do we overheat a coil? Well we can overpower it, sure that makes some coils stinky....but first let me remind you of how a coil cools off. Either while no voltage is present or when it is moving. When hard clipping is present, this means power is also present along with LESS motion of the cone....so this means that the cone is more still than moving, while STILL having power moving across those coils. Do you think the coils are being cooled? How about a HEYALL NAWWWW....

so to wrap things up...It is completely possible to clip the fuck out of a smaller amplifier and put it on...say..a BTL... and it may never fail because the heat may not be enough to fry a BTL coil...or it could be the opposite case...the BTL may die in minutes. It is completely dependent on the heat of the coils and how long it can take it.

Let's make a real life scenario, shall we? Turn on the kitchen stove and touch the burner and pull your hand away very quickly. Nothing hurts...Now hold it there as long as you can, pull away then do it again for a repeated amount of time...Your hand (which is like the coil in a sub) is gonna get fucked up... Now think about what a speaker goes through when you clip it...The square part of the wave is like putting your hand on the stove and KEEPING it there.

This is why you can cleanly overpower a lot of speakers, because at least the coil is moving and getting cooler by doing so (to a point).

I am in major agreeance with most points listed in your argument. But lets look at this from this point of view. A 100 watt amplifiers doesnt have enough juice to movelets say a btl any where near xmax. let alone xmech! So by having a coil thats getting dc current with very little excitement via cone travel, due to the ridiculously tight spiders on a sub like a btl the coil wont move nearly enough to dissipate heat. I might go as far to say a 500 watt amp clipped might possible cool the coils better than a 100 watt amp clipped? What do you think?

let me make another point. Clipping amps tend to send out freq that extend in the upper range the areas usually reserved for tweeter reproduction if you run 10hz to a sub the coil vibration will be so subtle essentially the coil behaves in a manner similar to dc voltage in the fact that it doesnt cause the cone/coil to travel causing no cooling whatsoever.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

calm down there tex, there are a lot of ghetto boxes out there yes, but im talking about a box that isnt assembled by joe 16 yr old with a chubby because he has his first ride. ive seen plenty of boxes that are built decently, even though they display a bunch of port noise. Hell theres people on here that use roll on bed liner to cover their boxes, its all personal preference and skill level.

Personally i dont prefer a prefab because i like to do things myself, i am in no way good a making a box (yet) and i do own a prefab sealed enclosure until i can get my build under way. but its something diff when you get the people like in my town who talk shit because they can go buy a system with birthday money and try to act like their hot shit when you cant hear the music from the stock speakers over sub enclosure package they bought from a local shop

and thats cool but all i did was mention reasons why a prefab is better for some individuals...not better for everyone. So the rumour is busted cause its not a science for everyone but technically only difference is one is cut by machine, other by hand, both assmebled by hand neither is perfect but its the design that counts...as long as it matches the sub and proper build, then its no different.

Well the question is really about overheating...The coils can only get so hot before burning. However...maybe Nick from Fi can answer this question because I am only in theory right now.

I think it totally depends. a 100 watt rms amp that clipped horribly and sent out literally twice the power (dirty, shitty power) to the coils would be a speaker now barely moving with....200 watts...while, lets be honest, with 200 watts a BTL aint moving nearly as much as it should, and whats worse, its moving even less because its clipped. BUT it still may be fine....Im in no way endorsing it, for we know DC KILLS speakers over time...However as long as the thermal requirements arent exceeded that speaker will be fine.

Again, clipped waves are bad, but we're talking SQUARE waves where we're severely ramming the coil in the ass with no lube, and someone's gonna leave bloody.

It purely depends on the coils ability to take it in the...whoops i mean...dissipate heat. Personally I dont think a 100 watt amp severely clipped will do jack shit to a BTL. Shit if I had one I would gladly make a vid.

In my opinion the coil is hotter than a mother fucker at 3krms moving than it is with a weak, clipped to shit signal.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Archived